White Station Scroll

White Station Scroll

White Station Scroll

Spartan Bucks: a system of rewards and reactions

THE SCROLL//ERICK LOBOS
Coach Kevaughn Griffith works on adjustments towards the Spartan Bucks system. He is the head coach of the track team.

The halls are abuzz with the introduction of Spartan Bucks, a system that incentivizes academic achievement and positive behavior by allowing students to choose from a multitude of rewards. While some students are excited at the prospect of earning rewards, others remain skeptical, questioning the impact this could have on the school. 

“The hope is that [the Spartan Buck system] rewards and celebrates students that are already doing [positive] things that may seem to be going unnoticed,”  Coach Kevaughn Griffith said, the man who designed the system. “It also encourages students that don’t think to be respectful regularly…or struggle with responsibility… to put more effort in that direction for it will ultimately benefit them.”

The Spartan Bucks system allows students to choose from a variety of rewards such as school spirit wear, food, drinks and homework passes. 

“[Spartan Bucks} give an extra incentive for students,” Anthony Nguyen (11) said.

Spartan Bucks were introduced this January. You can redeem them for food, drinks, homework passes, or spirit wear. (THE SCROLL//ERICK LOBOS)

But the gleam of rewards, especially the coveted homework pass, has some folks raising pitchforks in concern. Curt Rakestraw, a seasoned AP teacher, cautions the use of homework passes. …?

“I teach AP classes. I can’t let students out of major assignments,” Rakestraw said.

While the promise of rewards can motivate some, other students worry about unintended consequences.

”Some people pretend to be good in class, but outside of class they’re still bad,” Nguyen said. “They only put on this front to get these rewards.”

Beyond potential manipulation, there’s even the possibility of counterfeit Spartan Bucks entering circulation. Griffith acknowledges the risk but maintains a positive outlook.

“We definitely thought about the possibility of someone creating their own Spartan Buck, or things of that nature. We have some safeguards in place for that,” Griffith said. “I wouldn’t be completely surprised if there ended up being some fake Spartan Bucks floating around … and honestly I think that if that does happen, to a certain degree, it tells me that the incentive plan is worth having.”

The future of Spartan Bucks remains an open book. Striking the right balance between rewarding effort and upholding academic integrity will be key. Whether Spartan Bucks become a shining example of positive reinforcement or fade into obscurity remains to be seen. One thing is for certain: its impact will be a topic of discussion in the halls for some time to come.

Donate to White Station Scroll
$550
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of White Station High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.