This Week In Sparta – Wrestling

ALEX LE//USED WITH PERMISSION
    Keegan Mainers (11) talks with his coaches while being treated for a bloody nose during injury time. Injury time is reserved for blood and injuries and is used for specialists to come
    Noah Halloran (10) recovers after a match using a massage gun. Recovery is key to success in wrestling, with athletes having to take the utmost care of their bodies to stay highly competitive.
    (ALEX LE//USED WITH PERMISSION)
    Keegan Mainers (11) receives pointers for his upcoming match from coach Tyler Harris. Preparation is imperative to success in wrestling, with coaches and athletes studying opposition to give a competitive edge.
    (ALEX LE//USED WITH PERMISSION)
    Keegan Mainers (11) pins his opponent. To pin an opponent in a wrestling match one has to put the opponent on his back with any part of both shoulders or both shoulder blades of the opponent in contact with the mat for two seconds, with referees often diving or lowering themselves to confirm pins.
    Leont’e O’ Neil (11) ties his shoelaces prior to a match. Shoelaces must be tied, and in the event they come undone or the shoes come off during a match a technical violation would be called and there would be points awarded to the opponent.
    (ALEX LE//USED WITH PERMISSION)
    Joseph Lei (11) shakes the opposing coach’s hand. It is common courtesy to shake the opposing side’s coach after a wrestling match.
    Joseph Lei (11) suffers a near pin from his opponent. While a pin automatically ends the match in victory, a near pin allows points to be scored at a great rate from the victim having their shoulders nearly in contact with the matt.
    (ALEX LE//USED WITH PERMISSION)
    Joseph Lei (11) with coach Jeremy Stewart “on deck.” On deck is a term for a wrestler who is scheduled to wrestle after the current match, and wrestlers often use this time while on deck to warm up and activate their muscles
    (ALEX LE//USED WITH PERMISSION)

The WSHS wrestling team shakes hands with the opposing team following their duel meet.

$550
    $500