White Station Scroll

White Station Scroll

White Station Scroll

Drake’s Memphis show cancellation is ‘all a blur’

GOOGLE IMAGES
Drake and 21 Savage’s Memphis tour date was canceled twice due to venue issues. The FedEx Forum reportedly did not have enough space to execute Drake’s concert vision.

With the key to the city still in his grasp and thousands of fans’ outfits laid out for the show, Drake still decided not to unlock the doors to the FedEx Forum. But has this not happened before? From being the kickoff tour city to being wiped off the list completely, once again Memphis has failed to hear Drake perform live. On March 13, 2023, Drake announced that he and 21 Savage were going on their “It’s All A Blur” tour. After the success of their album “Her Loss,” the two decided to do a joint tour. Originally Drake and 21 Savage’s Memphis tour date was scheduled for June 29th as the third tour city. However, in April, after the New Orleans tour date was rescheduled, Memphis became the kick-off tour city.

“I was ecstatic when I found out about Drake’s tour,” Logan Swan (9) said. “I’ve been a fan of Drake ever since I heard his song ‘Take Care’ on the radio. I had tickets for his [Memphis] show that my mom got me as an early birthday present.”

With fans putting together their cargo pants and graphic tees in anticipation of seeing Drake live, just five days before the Memphis tour, Drake announced he was rescheduling the concert. Many fans were confused as to why the tour was being rescheduled as Drake nor his team did not initially give a response. The tour was rescheduled to Aug. 6 which gave more Memphians a chance to buy concert tickets. Once again fans organized their outfits and started counting down until the day Drake would step foot in Memphis. However, that day never came. Instead of five days before the tour, this time Drake gave fans a seven-day notice that his Memphis tour date had been canceled. Fans were notified from a FedEx forum statement that due to production issues, it would have been too difficult to bring Drake’s full concert vision to life with the FedEx Forum’s stage.

“I wanted to cry when I found out he canceled.” Kae Perez (12) said, “It is a true pity he canceled on us.I still would have went even though it was a school night because who wouldn’t want to see Drake [live].”

On Nov. 13, Drake announced he would be expanding his “It’s All A Blur” tour,  this time touring with J.Cole after the success of their performance at Dreamville Fest. With his new tour list, Memphis made the list again, slated for March 5, 2024. Some fans were skeptical to purchase as they feared Drake would cancel again. While others, however, understood that the dangerous nature of Memphis might be what was keeping him away.

“The crime rate in Memphis [is] one of the main reasons why I thought artist[s] would just rather not come to Memphis,” Perez said. “Ariana Grande came during 2018 and it was pretty shocking that a big artist like her came here. Memphis is pretty unsafe most of the times, so l get if artists cancel last minute.”

With the new tour date in place and the 2024 new year slowly cementing its mark, many fans once again started browsing for their outfits for the concert. However, just 16 days into the new year, Ticketmaster announced that Drake’s Memphis date was postponed until April 8th due to an ankle injury. Many fans felt as if Drake’s postponements and cancellations were unfair and unprofessional.

“I feel like he should have thought it through before canceling again, so he wouldn’t make that mistake but it seems like that didn’t cross his mind,” Perez said “Still though, it’s a shame. Most Drake fans got their hearts crushed twice so I speak for them.”

Hanging on to one final date, many Memphians started to feel as if Drake would never find his way back to Memphis. With the key to the city still in his hand, and three failed attempts to unlock his Memphis tour date, Drake canceled again. Just one month after his postponement, and with a healed ankle, on Feb. 16, it was announced that Drake had canceled his April Memphis tour date. The reason for his cancellation is not known. Even with his multiple flakes on the city, many fans still enjoy his music.

“I’ve been a fan of Drake for a couple years,” Brandon Boyce (12) said. “I like his music [but Drake] needs to stop playing [with] us and either do [the concert] or not. Still I would buy tickets [if he rescheduled] because [I] know every song of his.”

Donate to White Station Scroll
$550
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of White Station High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.