New year, new staff, new Station: Meet your 2022-2023 additions to the Spartan staff!

EDGAR GUERRERO//USED WITH PERMISSION

By: Kate Metcalf

After teaching for over three years, Edgar Guerrero Guerrero has made his way to White Station High School. Teaching Spanish II and Heritage Spanish I and II, Guerrero is looking forward to leaving an impact on his students. “It brings me joy knowing that, ‘oh they’re learning something,’” Guerrero said. He believes that all students can grow their understanding of Spanish — fluent or not they can build on the knowledge they already have. Even coming from White Station’s old rival, Overton, Guerrero seeks to be an influential figure for students. He aims to break stereotypes so his Hispanic students can have a good role model.

“Somebody that looks like them can be a teacher too,” Guerrero said. He believes with a little perseverance all students can make it through the year. “Once you get your diploma, you’re all set,” Guerrero said. “Focus. That’s your ultimate goal get out of here.”

TERAN CONLEY//USED WITH PERMISSION

By: Milagros Perez

With a brand-new school year comes a brand-new season full of sports such as football. As Spartans all look forward for the season to start, the football team is working hard being led by the new head coach, Teran Conley. Before coming to White Station, he was the head football coach at Briarcrest Middle School for two years. He attended Northside High School then finished the rest of his high school career at Trezevant high. In addition to coaching the football team, he is also the school’s family engagement specialist (acting as a liaison between school, community, students and parents). He stated the job was perfect for him because his position directly ties into his year one goal: winning the parents, the students and the building. “So if I can win those three things … regardless of what type of season we have, we’ll have good positive support … [which] makes things easier on my part,” Conley said. Another major change Conley is hoping to implement into our school is creating a student section that is supportive and inclusive. “I want to start this student section, and we’re gonna call it the 901 Spartans, not the football Spartans,” Conley said. “I feel like every sport or everything that we’re doing should have some type of student body representation. Whatever we’re doing, we should love our community … that’s the end goal in my mind.”

SOPHIA MARMION//THE SCROLL

By: Sophia Marmion

Dr. Michael Garcia is a recent addition to the White Station faculty, but after 12 years in the profession, seven in Shelby County Schools, he is no stranger to teaching. While attending graduate school in England, Garcia taught several university level courses, including medieval literature, history and archaeology. Now, he will teach four levels of Latin at White Station, including AP Latin, and a humanities course. “[I’m most excited about] getting into some primary Latin sources,” Garcia said. “Virgil and Caesar, Ovid, Martial … [that] hasn’t been changed or adapted for student purposes.” For students who will be taking his class, Garcia has one piece of advice. “Ask questions,” Garcia said. “I love questions, [they] tell me that you’re thinking, so don’t be afraid to ask.” While not an alumnus, he was directly connected to White Station by former Latin teacher Ms. Lafon. “When [Ms. Lafon] asked if I would come teach at White Station when she retired, it was overwhelming, flattering and a little scary … but I feel like I’m in the right place,” Garcia said.

AMANDA RICH//USED WITH PERMISSION

By: Alex Le

Amanda Rich is White Station’s newest French teacher. She has been teaching for 12 years, and was previously at Marion High School and Marion Junior High School in Arkansas. Rich came to White Station for not only a change in her life, but to also encourage students to expand their knowledge on French culture. “[I hope] … to introduce them to a new culture, language and to help broaden their world view and perspective,” Rich said. She is surprised about the size of the school and how hard it is to navigate, yet she still wishes to share her passions with the students and hopes for them to enjoy French as much as she does. “I enjoy what I do, and I hope that I can inspire other students to enjoy it as well,” Rich said. “That’s why I am here.”

EVAN EASLEY//USED WITH PERMISSION

By: Evan Easley

Returning to White Station after 24 years, calculus and physics teacher Wayne Mullins is excited to educate White Station’s brightest minds once again. Mullins began his teaching career in 1986, marking this year as his 36th year of teaching. He cares deeply about Memphis and especially White Station; his impact on the school is extensive. Both Maridee Cornell, physics teacher, and Rachel Kannady, science teacher, were previous students of his.

“I’m coming here to end my career,” Mullins said. “My job is to get the next generation of teachers ready.” He is aiming to improve the physics program at White Station through training Cornell and Andrea Vancil, physics teacher, while also experimenting with a potential new AP Physics course. “You just don’t know how much I love White Station and how happy I am to be back home,” Mullins said.

GRACE DILLENDER//USED WITH PERMISSION

By: Grace Dillender

Marie Ryall, comes to White Station after working at Christian Brothers University while finishing her teaching degree. After working for five years at Shrine School, she decided to transfer to White Station for unique opportunities. “It was really fun to be back … everyone was really supportive and welcoming,” Ryall said. Not only do the halls of White Station bring back memories, but Ryall has also seen many old faces, such as Michael Stephenson, Alan Harrison and Carrye Holland, who taught while she was a student there. She is hoping to connect with students this year and encourages Spartans to visit the library. “We have books that aren’t just books that you just read for school but also interesting, fun books to read as well,” Ryall said.

HANNIA ANTUNEZ//THE SCROLL

By: Adaria Crutcher

Carol Schwam is one of two new librarians entering the Spartan family this year. She has worked as a librarian for 17 years in multiple schools ranging from elementary to high schools throughout Memphis. In her free time, Schwam loves to bike, hike and backpack. So far, Schwam has been impressed by the caliber of students coming out of the library, and she is hoping to aid students in any way she can from helping them with computer issues to helping them pick out a book to read. 

“They’re always welcome in the library,” Schwam said. “I’ll do anything I can do to help them.”

LINDA MCCLORA-HARVEY//USED WITH PERMISSION

By: Grace Amgalan

Linda McClora-Harvey is the new assistant principal at White Station. McClora-Harvey has worked in education for 24 years, and previously she was the assistant principal at Cordova High. She is looking forward to experiencing the Spartan school spirit and will be found cheering at some of the football games. McClora-Harvey was drawn to White Station High by its reputation and is hoping to help students any way she can to maintain it that way. 

“I will work with [students] on whatever … to reach their goals … as long as it is within the limits of the school rules,” McClora-Harvey said.

ALLISA BURLISON//USED WITH PERMISSION

By: Madeline Breunig

Allisa Burlison is starting her first year at White Station High school and will be teaching 9th grade history for honors and traditional. Burlison has 13 years of teaching experience, some of which was done abroad in Austria. She plans to open a new German club this year where members can learn about the language, culture, food and more. Burlison is an alumni of Bartlett High School and was drawn to White Station by its impressive reputation. 

“I was happy to see how diverse the school is, kids from all over,” Burlison said. “[I]t just feels like a high school where you can do anything you want. Whatever … you’re interested in, I feel like it’s here. It seems like a place where everybody can find their place.”

BRENDON RYE//USED WITH PERMISSION

By: Ellen Tan

When students open the doors of White Station, Brenden Rye greets them in the main office as the new front-desk secretary, connecting with administration to direct students where they need to go. “It’s a very well organized school, very well organized in comparison [to other schools],” Rye said. “[Other schools] don’t have nearly as many policies. [White Station] was very well put together at the very beginning of school.” Having graduated from the class of 2013, Rye likes the different programs offered at White Station. Other than practicing jiu jitsu and MMA in his free time, he hopes that he can make sure kids are on track and make better choices in life. “As long as the kids are doing what they need to do, I’m great,” Rye said.

KIMBERLY FELDMAYER//USED WITH PERMISSION

By: Maya Zelinski

Kimberly Feldmayer is one of the many new teachers at White Station, teaching an important section of the student body: the hearing-impaired students. Feldmayer has experienced an irregular career path, having taught at Central High School for six years and as a homeschool mom before moving to White Station. With her major in Spanish, she teaches Spanish I and II, as well as World History. Feldmayer is hoping to learn American Sign Language, or ASL, throughout her time teaching at White Station. Already, one of the most enticing qualities about White Station that Feldmayer has remarked upon were the kind students. “They actually look teachers in the eye and communicate for no good reason except that they want to, and that’s not something that usually happens where I was until we built relationships,” Feldmayer said.

EDGAR WILLIAMS//USED WITH PERMISSION

By: Megan Shipp

Coach Williams is one of the new assistant football coaches at White Station but his enthusiasm does not stay on the field. “It’s not just about football with me,” Williams said. “I’m just here for the student body. I’m here for the school.” Williams has been a coach at four schools before White Station, including working at Overton High School for 17 years. He is excited to interact more with the student body and work with the football team, making clear that any student can always reach out to him, and he will help in any way he can. Without being here very long, Williams can tell that coming to White Station has been a great decision. “Of course, I’ve only been here eight days now, but everything has been lovely,” Williams said. “The kids are great. The kids are wonderful. They respond to me, [and] we have a great group of kids working hard on the football team.”