Metal beauties: gold versus silver jewelry

ANANDI DURGAM//USED WITH PERMISSION
Anandi Durgam (11) chose a simple necklace with a butterfly pendant to go with her outfit. On the contrary, for important events, she finds herself wearing more statement pieces and more extravagant necklaces.

From earrings and necklaces to bracelets and rings, how to possibly choose from all of these dazzling things? Their color, shape and style capture its beauty, selecting an accessory is anything but an easy duty. 

For centuries, jewelry has been a staple in fashion as it is considered by many people to be the “perfect” complementary accessory to an outfit. On many social media platforms, color matching quizzes have been done by many influencers to show that there are “scientific” ways to find out which color of metal jewelry suits them the best. Whether it’s due to its trendy style or physical aesthetics, the purpose and symbolism of jewelry is always evolving and changing, depending on someone’s opinions. As there are multiple types of jewelry, some people might find themselves torn between the decision of wearing either silver or gold jewelry. 

“I originally was a silver [girl] … I transitioned this year from a silver [to] gold [girl], and I originally just thought silver looked better on me,” Anandi Durgam (11) said. “As an Indian, we emphasize gold jewelry too, so I would always wear gold jewelry for [Indian events] … but I never really liked the color on me. I thought the silver sparkled more and the gold blended in with my skin.”

The choice of what color of metal jewelry to wear can be associated with many factors such as its ability to represent a personality. For Durgam, silver jewelry appeared more lively, which complimented her energetic personality she had a few months ago. However, with time and age, she realized gold suited her new, more “relaxed” personality type and it was not as vibrant as silver.  

“I actually think I lean towards gold [jewelry] because it doesn’t make me feel like I stand out,” Durgam said. “I think silver is like contrasting [compared to…]. I used to be more into eccentric outfits but now I’ve become more toned down. I think [preference in gold or silver jewelry] comes with age and maturity.”

Throughout history, jewelry has been associated as a sign of power, wealth, religious and moral beliefs, etc. across many cultures. For Durgam, jewelry is important to her because not only does jewelry help people convey her personal identity, it also strongly represents her Indian culture as gold is considered a highly-respected substance. 

“In Indian culture, we wear these necklaces with all of these pins and stuff … so gold has cultural significance too,” Durgam said. “[Jewelry] is a form of self expression and it’s fun to get ready [for the day with jewelry].”

For some, gold jewelry has become a staple part of their wardrobe as they have been accustomed to it since a young age. They find that they are used to the way it makes their skin tone appear and seek comfort in the simplicity and elegance of gold jewelry. 

“I usually wear gold jewelry. I think my parents started dressing me up in gold jewelry and it matches my undertones better,” Aasritha Butti (10) said. 

Layering jewelry has also been a hard decision for some people due to the different styles and colors it comes in. In recent social media trends, a minimalistic style has been highlighted and encouraged due to its easy and effortless look. Butti thinks alike to the minimalistic style and finds that there is a common misconception with the amount of jewelry that needs to be worn. 

“I think a common misconception people have is that they believe they need to go overboard with the pieces that they wear,” Butti said. “But I think that less is more and you really don’t have to overdo it.” 

Unlike Durgam, who believes it is important for people to understand which jewelry suits them the best as it can help their confidence, Butti thinks that confidence can also be found by people choosing whatever they find is comfortable. According to Butti, focusing time on trying to figure out which shades of gold and silver is not necessary as long as someone feels good in what they are wearing.  

“I don’t think that it’s necessarily important for them to like to find out what jewelry suits them the best as long as they find something that they feel comfortable wearing or they feel confident wearing,” Butti said. 

$550
$500