From the farmyard to the vet clinic

Jordan Kirby (12) holds less than a month old baby lamb at Memphis Zoo. He has been interested in agriculture and the veterinary field since he was young. (CASSIDY SMITH//USED WITH PERMISSION)
Jordan Kirby (12) holds a baby lamb at Memphis Zoo. He has been volunteering at the Memphis Zoo for almost two years. (CASSIDY SMITH//USED WITH PERMISSION)

While some may associate the name Kirby with an Algebra II class, others might associate it with a senior who has a love for our four-legged friends and their well being.

During school hours, Jordan Kirby (12) is involved in choir and JROTC, but in his free time he pursues his passion for agriculture and veterinary science, which he has had since he was younger.

“My grandmother actually worked at the zoo; she was a docent, she took us there about every weekend.” Kirby said. 

Kirby has family in Wisconsin that owns livestock and large soybean fields that he’s visited frequently throughout his life. 

“I’ve just been surrounded by agriculture since I was young.” Kirby said. 

For a little over a year, Kirby worked in the pet resort area of a local vet clinic while also getting the opportunity to shadow the veterinarians in their practice. He grew up taking his own pets to the vet, so this was a chance to witness the veterinary process firsthand. 

“It was very interesting seeing how everything is done.” Kirby said. “It was really interesting seeing behind-the-scenes as to how they work and do everything and how organized it was back there.”

When applying for vet school, over a thousand hours of vet clinic experience is suggested to ensure applicants are truly passionate about entering the field. Kirby’s time spent at the vet clinic helped confirm his passion. 

“Being back there, seeing surgeries, seeing all types of things, it really reinforced that I do want to join the field.” Kirby said. 

The Tennessee Governor’s Schools are summer programs where rising juniors and seniors can study specific subjects and earn college credits for them. Kirby attended Governor’s School at the University of Tennessee at Martin (UT Martin) for agricultural sciences after hearing about it from a friend who attended and also from being recommended by a professor he met while touring the school for college purposes. 

While at Governor’s School, he was among the few who did not have extensive experience with farm animals; however, he was knowledgeable in the vet clinic area. Kirby worked with farm animals and, for the first time, exotic animals, all while taking college classes for the first time.

“Since I live in Memphis, I don’t get the whole agricultural experience … so it definitely challenged me.” Kirby said. 

Currently, Kirby is volunteering at the Memphis Zoo and has been for about two years in the farm area. His job as a volunteer includes tasks the keepers do, such as cleaning stalls and lots, preparing meals, enrichment with the animals, walking the goats and hauling bulk food like hay. Kirby named his favorite moment so far as the first time he got to hold a baby lamb last year.

“[It] was a very new experience, but it was very fulfilling.” Kirby said. “It was less than two weeks old, and just getting to see it and hold it in my arms, it was so amazing.”

Kirby has since committed to UT Martin for college and plans on double majoring in veterinary science and veterinary technology and minoring in biology. Throughout Governor’s School, Kirby was able to explore the campus with rec center passes, taking walks around campus and taking tours of all the buildings. Kirby also made friends there who plan on returning to UT Martin for college together. 

“While I was there … I got a good feel of the campus life,” Kirby said. “I just really enjoyed it.”

After college, Kirby plans to attend the University of Tennessee, Knoxville’s veterinary school, to obtain his Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) and embark on a career path as a mixed veterinarian, where he can work with domestic pets like dogs and cats and farm animals like cows and horses. 

$550
$500