Frills and fur: what’s in this winter

SIMONE ROCHA//REFINERY29 LUCAS GREENWALDT//PINTEREST BRANDY MELVILLE//GOOGLE IMAGES BUSTLE//GOOGLE IMAGES SANDY LIANG//REFINERY29
“When you see someone wearing something that looks cool … you kind of start wearing it.” – Benjamin Kay (12)

Goodbye Y2K colors, cowboy boots and no-makeup makeup looks. The winter trends of last year have come and gone. Muted tones have replaced bright shades, leather knee high boots have been opted for over combat and cowboy boots and the sheer, barely-there makeup trends have been outshined by graphic eyes and pops of color on the face. 

“I have been wearing a lot of green … red, blue and black … corduroy and knitted sweaters,” Benjamin Kay (12) said.

Muted, deep colors have also made a comeback this holiday season. Red, one of the most iconic colors of the holidays, has maintained its popularity; however, the bright, scarlet color reminiscent of Santa Claus and Valentine’s Day hearts has been overtaken by dark, vampy shades of red. Seen on nails, Mary Jane shoes and makeup products, deep red accents have added a pop to many simple outfits. Alongside this, navy blue has gained attraction this winter season, most often being paired with shades of cream and gold. The popularity of the ‘classy,’ clean aesthetic has propelled the return of simpler looks with straight lines and dainty pieces. Penelope Sandlin (12) has incorporated the timeless look of black leather in her recent fashion, which has resurged in oversized jackets and boots during the 2023-2024 winter season. 

“[I have seen] a lot of neutrals…black and tan and a lot of sophisticated styles,” Sandlin said.  

Many women have adopted bow and ribbon accents into their accessories. Shoelaces are being replaced with ribbons, hair is being decorated with frills and large, statement bows have begun to characterize dresses. From pieces inspired by Marilyn Monroe’s iconic pink bow dress to the playful, youthful coquette aesthetic popularized by stars like Lana Del Rey, fuss and frills are all the rage. In the same vein of this is the budding appreciation for lace. Tights and stockings made of colorful lace can be seen on runways and in stores, adding on to dainty, feminine aesthetics. Bolder trends include sheer lace tops and see through dresses, creating a flirty party look that was donned by many this New Year’s. Men’s fashion has been dominated by workwear and rugged looks, with subtle, natural shades growing in popularity for an everyday, casual aesthetic.

“One thing I have seen a lot of is camouflage,” Summer Cherry (12) said. “I’ve seen a lot of people wearing it throughout the fall and winter, and a lot of brands are hopping on.”

With 2023 producing a surge of popular movies and media, fashion trends are sure to follow. Eclectic makeup looks and quirky statement pieces inspired by the release of “Saltburn” have been circulating platforms such as TikTok, flirty all-pink feminine looks followed the popularity of “Barbie” and 60’s makeup, hair and mini dresses were seen after director  Sofia Coppola’s movie “Priscilla.”

“When you see someone wearing something that looks cool … you kind of start wearing it,” Kay said.

$550
$500