The commencement of basketball season

The+boys%E2%80%99+basketball+team+plays+hard+during+their+pre-season+game+against+Melrose.+White+Station+came+out+victorious%2C+winning+46-45.++
ERICK LOBOS//THE SCROLL
The boys’ basketball team plays hard during their pre-season game against Melrose. White Station came out victorious, winning 46-45.

The sun is just beginning to come up and as most students are scrambling to head out the door for school, Corey Ross (12) has already gotten in his first workout for the day. In preparation for the new basketball season, the team has been practicing and honing their abilities for months. Between before-school lifting and after-school practices, the basketball team has been shaping up for a successful season.

“We either lift weights or go up and down, doing drills,” Ross said. “Sometimes we come in the mornings, so before school around 6 a.m. [to] get a workout in. [Then,] rest and recover.”

These extensive preparations make one thing clear: the basketball team’s determination to excel in the upcoming season is unwavering and leaves no doubt about their commitment to the challenges ahead.

“[We’ve been] practicing a lot, we’ve been working out often [and] team bonding, just always being with each other,” Jasper Bell (12) said. “We practice in seventh period, so like 1:30 [p.m.] to like 3:30 [p.m.] every day.”

Despite the benefits of staying active and gaining skills to be used on the court, the frequency of practices can get tiring for some. A source of motivation is crucial for players to show up to practice so they can show out on the court. 

“School motivates me,” Ross said. “Just being here with my teammates, friends, all of that motivates me to keep coming every day because I get to have fun with basketball and I get to see my friends too.”

Any basketball fan could say that communication between players is undeniably one of the most important aspects of the game. This reality is no different for White Station’s basketball team. The bond between players is just as significant as their skills. 

“What’s been really important is our chemistry, so getting to know each other well because we can’t be a team if we don’t know each other well. It’s important because my coach said ‘A divided house doesn’t go [anywhere]’, so if we’re all together, we can make a lot of stuff happen together,” Ross said.

The success of the team can be attributed to many factors, but according to the players, their coach deserves much of the credit. Coach Patino, the boy’s basketball coach, has also been instrumental in ensuring productive practices, a focused team and a fruitful season. 

“Coach Patino is one of the greatest coaches I’ve ever had in my life and I appreciate everything that he has done,” Bell said. “He’s helped me realize that I’m better than I think on and off the court. He helps you become a better person off the court and he helps you become a better player on the court.”

The collective commitment and effort put forth during training sessions have positioned the team for potential success in the upcoming season. The players and coaching staff are focused on their preparations, and their confidence in their ability to achieve their goals is evident as they prepare to step onto the court this season.

“I’m looking forward to making it as far as possible, making memories with the team since it’s my last year [and] we want to bring a state ring here, so that’s my goal,” Ross said.

$550
$500