The testing shift from paper to computer

The+PSAT%2FNMSQT+is+now+available+to+be+taken+online+through+the+help+of+College+Board.+College+Board+can+be+used+to+see+past+test+scores%2C+AP+test+preparation%2C+and+provide+other+standardized+practice+tests.+
AASHRITA MARPADAGA//THE SCROLL
The PSAT/NMSQT is now available to be taken online through the help of College Board. College Board can be used to see past test scores, AP test preparation, and provide other standardized practice tests.

From sharpening pencils to charging devices, paper testing has been replaced by its alternative online testing. College Board released a statement early 2022 saying that standardized tests such as the PSAT/NMSQT and SAT, will be offered digitally in the fall of 2023. 

According to the College Board website, the digital version will be easier to navigate. The overall time will be shorter, though there will be more time allowed per question. In addition, a built-in calculator will be provided. Although the digital forms are advertised as better than the original version, some students have mixed feelings about the change. 

“With paper testing, it allows you to … physically think out your answer and write it down.” Jadereckko Austin (10) said. “Opposed to a computer screen you can’t. It’s on a screen, what can you do?”

According to Austin, there are many negatives towards online standardized testing like possible grading inaccuracies and system overloads. On the other hand, online testing has reduced the requirement for using an abundance of paper and accelerates the process for receiving test results. Both the PSAT and SAT demand much preparation beforehand with students buying workbooks, hiring tutors and studying countless hours. Vivian Fan (12) , who has been recognized as one of the twelve National Merit Scholars, acknowledges the differences in preparation for online testing versus paper testing.

“Since it has been on paper for so many years … I could find … practice tests and stuff that were on paper, so I had a better idea on what to expect,” Fan said. “But for online testing, I don’t think there’s as many … practice materials out there.”

As new tests are  being created, students and faculty question the purpose of standardized testing. Over the years, some have noticed an increase in standardized testing with one of the factors being the switch to online materials. Freshman CLUE teacher Dwight Wade has noticed that technology and standardized testing in general, has divided the community.

“It serves us and it always looks like there’s a price to pay … for any technology,” Wade said. “But one of the prices we have to pay is the increasing isolation from the thing that really binds us together, and that’s our common interests.”

$550
$500