Lady spartans soccer team uses strong team chemistry to garner success

Yeow Chang

Sarah Rose (9) in action in a matchup against Germantown High School.

One ball. One goal. One team. The Lady Spartans have taken the field for the much anticipated 2017 season. After a strong season in 2016, the girls headed into the summer offseason with several goals in mind. A combination of better fitness and communication has resulted in a strong start to the season. Led by twin captains Caroline (12) and Grace (12) Duncan, the girls kicked off the season with a hard fought win against a strong St. Mary’s team. The team followed that win up with another victory against eventual division winner Farragut High School at the Smoky Mountain Cup in Gatlinburg, Tenn.

This was the first year that Coach Tom Davis took the team on an out-of-town trip for a tournament. While there, they faced some tough competition from Ravenwood High School and Girls’ Preparatory School. Facing other teams in the state gave the Lady Spartans an idea of how they stacked up against the top Tennessee competition.

“We think that this season we will be able to win against some of the teams we lost to last season. As long as the team is in the right mentality as we step on the field, we can beat any team we play,” Grace Duncan said.

The trip to Gatlinburg also allowed for much needed team bonding. Team chemistry is a key reason to the success of this Spartan squad. From doing freshman-senior bonding to playing hide-and-seek in a large cabin atop the Smoky Mountains, the girls have found a second family.

“We have this great flow on the field because of our relationships that I don’t think other teams have,” Katelyn Sobral (12) said.

The overall goal of this season is to make the state championship. The Lady Spartans will likely face a tough Collierville squad at Regionals. With a solid core group of seniors, who have played together for four years, hopes are high to make it far in the state tournament. With a lethal combination of hard work, great team chemistry, and sharper communication, the Lady Spartans have a great opportunity this season to make it far in the postseason.