Spartan spirit: a unique campus identity

MAKINLEE HOLMES//USED WITH PERMISSION
Students celebrate Homecoming Week by dancing in the picnic area during C lunch. On class distinction day, seniors dress and act as senior citizens.

White Station High School’s (WSHS) student body includes many people from different cultures and backgrounds. With so much diversity, students are not only able to learn about other cultures, but also identify with others’ experiences.

“Everybody respects everybody even if you don’t necessarily like them,” Makinlee Holmes (10) said. “I think we all have respect for each other and our individuality.”

As a sophomore, Holmes has gotten many opportunities to experience the unique elements of White Station. She appreciates class distinction day during Homecoming Week, specifically the traditions associated with it.

“My favorite part is the dance party that’s in the picnic area during Homecoming Week,” Holmes said. “Freshman year they played 90s music and last year it was the old people day, so everyone was playing church music in the picnic area.”

WSHS offers many different chances for involvement and connection. Whether it be at classes, events or extracurricular activities, there are many opportunities to interact with fellow students. 

“My favorite part is definitely how willing everyone is to engage with each other,” Khloe Brown (10) said. “I’ve met so many wonderful people that I definitely would not have interacted with because of different social groups and backgrounds.”

With a common identity comes common experiences, and one piece of Spartan knowledge is the rush to get from class to class. This experience, specifically involving Mr. Ayers, has been documented on social media and is commonly understood by many students.

“Ayers’s golf cart,” Holmes said. “There are a bunch of memes about it on TikTok but whenever you see the golf cart, you start running.”

There are many spots around campus where students tend to spend time, including the tree by the freshman building, courtyard, picnic area and library. The library is open both during and after school hours, making it a popular spot for homework or other events.

“I love [the library] so much, there’s so many cool events, like the historical movies are really fun,” Brown said. “It’s just a really calm and peaceful place to be, it’s very enjoyable.”

A benefit of diversity at school is the inclusivity it facilitates. With such a wide range of clubs and groups, many students feel that there is a place for everyone.

“I feel like people are more likely to want to come to White Station because of how diverse it is in most aspects,” Holmes said. “Everybody can find a group here which is a good thing.”

All elements of campus culture create an overall Spartan identity and a sense of pride for students. Through academics, extracurriculars and interactions, there are many ways to celebrate and appreciate the unique culture created by students and staff. 

“I think that White Station students tend to have a lot of pride for our school and that may be different from other schools,” Brown said. “People are willing to work with people they might not like or get along with to accomplish a goal.”

$550
$500