The histories of well-known celebrity feuds

GOOGLE IMAGES
In response to Chris Rock’s joke about Jada Pinkett-Smith at the 2022 Oscars, Will Smith walked on stage and slapped Rock. This move shocked many of the viewers.

High school is full of drama. You and your boyfriend get in an argument, you break up, he suddenly finds a new girlfriend, and before you know it, it is all anyone is talking about. Now, imagine experiencing this as a celebrity with millions of fans. No matter what the actual truth is, the fans and people across the internet will dramatize the situation. This article discusses the origins of many celebrity feuds, as well as the student body’s opinions on them. White Station students voiced their thoughts through voting on polls placed on the Scroll’s Instagram account. 

Nicki Minaj versus Cardi B

The feud between these two iconic rappers has become widespread, even involving their husbands. Rumors of the two rappers feuding first started in 2017 as Cardi B gained popularity as a new up and coming rapper and many listeners compared her to Nicki Minaj. Soon after, Minaj dissed Cardi B’s ex-husband, Offset, to which Cardi B returned the sentiment by talking about idols who become rivals. However, shortly after these instances, Cardi B addressed the feud rumors by saying that it was made up by the internet. Yet despite her own words, in 2018, Cardi B threw her high heel at Minaj during New York Fashion Week. In response, Minaj’s husband, Kenneth Petty, recorded a video of himself threatening Offset, which resulted in him being placed on house arrest. Although there are no further large developments on the feud, many fans still speculate on what truly happened between the two. Regardless of what happens next, fans have chosen their side. The majority of Spartans voted in favor of Nicki Minaj in a 70% to 30% poll.

Selena Gomez versus Hailey Bieber

The feud between these two famous women may not truly be a feud between them, but it is still full of dramatics. Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber began dating around 2010 and had an on-and-off relationship until 2018. A couple of months after their break up it was announced that Justin Bieber had married Hailey Bieber. Fans began speculating about a feud between Gomez and Hailey when Hailey posted a TikTok that was perceived as throwing shade at Gomez. Gomez told fans to be nice to everyone, and Hailey wrote that the TikTok was purely for fun and not directed at anyone. Later on, Gomez posted a TikTok making fun of her own eyebrows. Within the same day, Hailey and Kylie Jenner posted a photo of them on Facetime showing off their groomed eyebrows. Fans were quick to comment and accuse the two of throwing shade towards Gomez, but Jenner responded that there was absolutely none. There have been a few other instances where fans claimed that one of the girls was shading the other, such as when Gomez defended a Taylor Swift song that Hailey disliked or when Hailey posted the solo version of a song that Gomez has a duet on. Despite the constant claims that fans make, the two are attempting to move forward. They now follow each other and have spoken up that the hate and negativity from fans has become too  overwhelming. Although the drama has calmed down between the two, fans have their favorite. White Station students prefer Gomez over Hailey according to the 88% to 12% poll.

Selena Gomez poses with Hailey Bieber during a gala in Los Angeles. Although Gomez previously dated Justin Bieber and is still questioned about her feelings towards him, Hailey Bieber assures the public there is no bad blood between the two girls. (GOOGLE IMAGES)

Will Smith versus Chris Rock

Although the feud between these two hit its peak at the 2022 Oscars, it started years before. All the way back in 2016, Chris Rock hosted a telecast in which he cracked a joke towards Jada Pinkett Smith boycotting the Oscars by claiming that she was likely never invited. As Rock toured with his standup comedy act, he made many jokes at Pinkett Smith’s expense. These jokes resulted in years of unresolved tension between the Smith couple and Rock. The “G.I. Jane” joke about Pinkett Smith’s alopecia at the 2022 Oscars brought Will Smith to his breaking point. Pinkett Smith has been very public with how her alopecia has resulted in hair loss, even posting a TikTok about it less than a week before that joke was made. In response to Rock’s comment, Smith walked on stage and slapped Rock while telling him to keep Pinkett Smith’s name out of his mouth. Many agreed that Rock deserved the slap, even if it ruined the Oscars’ celebrations. Spartans agree, voting in favor of Will Smith 71% to 29%.

Taylor Swift versus Kanye West

The feud between these two musical artists has created very heated fanbases. During the 2009 VMAs, Taylor Swift won the award for best video by a female artist. Her acceptance speech, however, was interrupted by Kanye West who claimed that Beyoncé should have been given the award. Later on in 2016, West released his song “Famous”, in which he claimed to have made Swift famous. Swift said that she did not know her name would be in the song, but Kim Kardashian defended West by posting a video of her agreeing to the song over a phone call. This resulted in a flood of hate towards Swift, leading to her disappearing from the public eye for over a year. When she returned, she released a comeback album titled “Reputation”, as well as the album “Lover” in 2019. After these two albums were released, she made a documentary titled “Miss Americana” which detailed the making of her new albums, while also providing insight into the feud with West. She explained that at the 2009 VMAs she thought the crowd was booing her rather than West, and also that on the infamous phone call with West he never said her name would be used in that manner. At the current moment, the feud is essentially frozen in place as many fans of West claim that Swift is untalented and many fans of Swift claim that she is more successful than West. This back and forth banter is present within White Station as well as students voted in favor of West 52% to 48%.

During Taylor Swift’s acceptance speech at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs), Kanye West interrupted to say Beyoncé should have won the award. This moment created a large feud and harshly divided the two fanbases. (GOOGLE IMAGES)

Mariah Carey versus Eminem

The feud between Mariah Carey and Eminem is seemingly endless, having been created in the early 2000s and still left unresolved. It all began in 2002 when Eminem released his song “Superman”, in which he referred to dating Carey. Later on in 2009, Eminem referred to her again in his song “Bagpipes from Baghdad” by claiming he wants her back. Within the song he even came after Carey’s then-husband Nick Cannon. In return, Carey released her song “Obsessed” also in 2009 and dressed up in a style very similar to Eminem’s. Only a month later, Eminem responded with his song titled “The Warning”, in which he claims to only be mad at her because of her denial that the two dated. Eminem claims that the two dated for six months while working on Carey’s album “Charmbracelet”. Although it is not entirely clear which one is telling the truth, fans once again hold strong opinions. The poll was close, but Spartans voted in favor of Eminem 55% to 45%.

$550
$500