White Station Scroll

White Station Scroll

White Station Scroll

Lana Del Rey takes it home

American pop star princess Lana Del Ray released a cover of Take Me Home, Country Roads on December 1, 2023. The cover retains traits of her iconic sound, putting her own spin on the original.
BLOGSPOT//GOOGLE IMAGES

Country roads, take me home. The iconic American tune is recognizable all over the world and is beloved by many. Originally released by John Denver in 1971, the song grew to be an international hit. In December of 2023, pop star Lana Del Rey, known for her Americana aesthetic, soft sounds, and massive fanbase, released a cover of Take Me Home, Country Roads, gaining immediate attention.

“It’s still that calm Lana sound, but also [sounds] like old Dolly Parton country classic, which I like a lot. It kind of gives a different feeling than her typical music” Penelope Sandlin (12) said.

Lana Del Rey is no stranger to covering songs of other popular artists. She has covered songs such as Heart Shaped Box, by Nirvana, The Other Woman, by Nina Simone, and Doin’ Time, by Sublime, all while keeping her unique dreamy, mellow sound.

“She kept the background music really simple…and she also kept the tone monotone, which is kind of like the original, but I think she made it more chill.” Sandlin said.

Lana Del Rey’s cover of Take Me Home, Country Roads features soft piano background music and a choir during the last portion of the song. Similarly to her original music, the cover keeps the song incredibly mellow and dreamy.

“I think I got into [her music]…listening to it on the radio…last year I got super into it, and to me it’s just sort of comforting.” Sandlin said.

Donate to White Station Scroll
$550
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of White Station High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.