Sophomore class officers

CELESTE CRUZ//THE SCROLL
Jadarekko Austin (10) and Kayla Burton (10) have similar goals and ideas when it comes to helping their grade. The pair was elected by the sophomore class to be their class officers.

Kayla Burton (10) and Jadarreko Austin (10) were elected to work together to lead the class of 2026. Both officers want their second year of high school to be better than their first.

“Me and my friends wanted a better year than last year,” Burton said. “We know that sophomore year can be a little different than freshman year.”

Burton ran for class officer in efforts to be an open ear for students in her grade. 

“[I want] everyone’s voice to be heard,” Burton said. “I want to make a positive outcome.” 

While she is in office, Burton hopes to lessen the gap between administration and students. According to Burton, students are disconnected to the higher ups and that is why they may hold resentment towards them. 

“Students feel a kind of way towards administration but they don’t understand why administrators [make strict rules],” Burton said.

Austin aims to make the people in his grade feel more like a community. He plans to work toward more positive and affirming interaction between his classmates. 

“I wanted to make a change within our own class,” Austin said. “I wanted us to feel more connected to each other and to administration.”

Comfortability and acceptance among the sophomore student body are Austin’s main goals as class officer. 

“I want students to be able to express themselves,” Austin said. “I want them to feel comfortable when coming to school.”

$550
$500