Be peculiar

Back to Article
Back to Article

Be peculiar

20th Cenutry Fox

20th Cenutry Fox

Photo Credit: Leah Gallo

20th Cenutry Fox

Photo Credit: Leah Gallo

Photo Credit: Leah Gallo

20th Cenutry Fox

“I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was.”

An ‘ordinary life’ in the mind of Ransom Riggs is almost impossible, especially in his book Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, a popular fantasy novel published in 2011.

The story opens on Cairnholm Island in Wales, where Jacob Portman is met with trying to solve the mysterious reason behind his grandfather’s death. The fifteen-year-old boy claims that he saw his grandfather murdered by a tentacled monster. The protagonist stumbles across a home stuck in a time loop, repeating the day of an infamous fire over and over, and finds that the inhabitants are children with perplexing abilities. The children see the monsters that Jacob sees, leading to a partnership to destroy the creatures.

The story is laced with characters who have mysterious powers, ranging from levitation to invisibility. With these powers, Riggs is able to capture a sense of curiosity and adventure through his words and character development, a tone that is well loved within the young adult realm of books today.

The same year the novel was published, 20th Century Fox bought the film rights and began bringing the novel to life. Excitement buzzed after Tim Burton was confirmed as the film’s director, known for directing The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Corpse Bride and the 2005 version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

The combination of Burton’s film style and the themes of Riggs’ series set high hopes for the film. Asa Butterfield, known for playing Hugo Cabret in Hugo, will take on the lead with Eva Green and Samuel Jackson at his side.

Photos of the set and cast have recently been released, along with a trailer. Burton took the beloved novel, head on and flung the imagery into full swing . The house possesses the dark corners defined within the pages, protruding from a forested area. The characters are coming to life through the amazing work of the cast and crew, embodying the eeriness of the peculiarities.

Fans are excited to see how it lands, either in the wasteland of forgotten adaptations or the heavens of beloved ones.

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children opens in theaters on September 30th.

• Be peculiar

News

Student Congress is fighting for change

• Be peculiar

LIII: an NFL Playoff and Super Bowl recap

• Be peculiar

“There’s the rub:” a guide to Memphis BBQ

• Be peculiar

A day in the life of a Spartan basketball player

• Be peculiar

Spartans reach new heights with rock climbing

• Be peculiar

An internationally-ranked jiu jitsu champion’s journey to success

• Be peculiar

News

Limited sex education at White Station results from public policy

• Be peculiar

How celebrities and politics are mixing in a new age of endorsement

• Be peculiar

Campbell forms affordable soccer team for inner-city players

• Be peculiar

Spartan traditions: the history behind the banana

Be peculiar