What is Model UN?

Sharon Stewart

White Station delegates celebrate their hardwork at Washington University

Model United Nations, or “MUN” for short, is a scholastic simulation of the United Nations that educates participants about current events and international relations.

Model UN sponsor Sharon Stewart says that Model UN is “students acting like adults and ambassadors of a country in the United Nations and working together to help other countries.”

Quality research and confidence are key to success in Model UN. Each participant, or delegate, represents a country during the conference. The students must research how their country feels about a situation and how they plan to solve it. Sometimes crises are thrown at the delegates to judge how quick they think on their feet.

“Things happen every day that can totally change a country’s position on an issue,” said Stewart. Stewart has been a sponsor for four years now and says her favorite part about sponsoring Model UN is being able to get to know the students and to see them grow and mature into adults.

The ultimate goal in a Model UN session is to pass a resolution that solves the issue at hand. Delegates from other countries with similar views join together to voice their opinions, write a proposed resolution and hopefully gain the support of the rest of the committee.

Delegates are awarded based on how accurately they present their countries’ opinions and how well they respond to the other delegates, which is why intensive research is necessary.

Freshman Xiya Wu said that she was nervous in the beginning, but “competing in conferences boosts your confidence in speaking in public, which is something everyone should be able to do.” This year is Xiya’s first time participating in Model UN, but she really enjoys it and recommends it to others.

Through Model UN students learn a variety of important skills, such as public speaking, confidence, effective research techniques and cooperation with people you have never met. Participants also learn about different countries and different issues throughout the world.

Wu said, “The world isn’t as perfect as it seems, and there are a lot of things that need fixing.”