• SUBSCRIBE to The Scroll - SIX Issues for only $1

Filed under Main Story, Sports

Spartan skaters: life on the rink

Sutton+Yarbro+%2812%29+performs+at+the+2018+Heart+of+Memphis+Invitational+Meet+with+a+Creative+Solo+Free+Dance.+
Sutton Yarbro (12) performs at the 2018 Heart of Memphis Invitational Meet with a Creative Solo Free Dance.

Rushing Photography

Rushing Photography

Karen Gan (12) and Sutton Yarbro (12) participate in sports that many people often overlook: competitive ice skating and roller skating.
Yarbro is a 2017 National Bronze medalist, six-time National finalist, and an eleven-time regional champion. She has been roller skating since she was three years old and was first introduced to the sport by her mother. She then began skating more often at the East End Skating Center as she grew up.
Skating has become an outlet for Yarbro to express herself in a unique and individualized way.
“I like to represent my character without having to speak,” Yarbro said. “I get to express myself through skating.”
Yarbro plans on continuing skating in college, but not at her current competitive level.
Gan, meanwhile, showcase her skills on a different platform: the ice. She began her ice skating career at the age of nine, competing and perfecting routines at the Mid South Ice House. Currently, she continues to skate around two to three times a week and holds lessons for younger kids. After high school, Gan hopes to continue skating, but will most likely do so at a less competitive level.
“When I get on the ice, I don’t have to worry about school, I just focus on skating,” Gan said. “It’s kind of my escape from reality.”
Ice skating and roller skating are underrecognized sports that require balance, timing, speed, and knowledge. Each sport takes a tremendous amount of dedication to master new skills that both Gan and Yarbro take pride in.

Stephen Elliott
Karen Gan (12) participates in Theater on Ice last December.

Spartan skaters: life on the rink