• SUBSCRIBE to The Scroll - SIX Issues for only $1

Filed under Student Life

NCURrent research

Larae Crenshaw (12) with her data of her surveys for NCUR.

The National Conference for Undergraduate Research, also known as NCUR is a conference in which students, usually undergraduates in college meet to present their research to professors and professionals in the field of their research. It has allowed several students from White Station to present their research projects that they have started in AP Research, on a collegiate level. This allows more students to get into better research programs later on and possibly have a lasting impact on the community with their research. Students have this exceptional opportunity not only because this year’s conference is scheduled to beheld at the University of Memphis, but also because White Station is one of the only schools in the state that offers AP research classes.

“The average high school student doesn’t get to participate in presenting their research at the collegiate level, so for most of them that was something that was enticing.” AP Research teacher Molly Oster said.

The opportunity for these students to participate in NCUR arose only when the conference was chosen to occur at the University of Memphis. These students were selected after completing an application process that consisted of them submitting their abstracts, which is an overall plan and description of their research. Students will be able to present their research of wide-ranging topics to various professors and experts to receive feedback.

Sarthak Bansal (12) will be presenting his research project on the college acceptance rate of certain races based on SAT scores. His research could help future students depending on the colleges they apply to and the changes that admission councils may make. Bansal will be presenting along with several other students from AP research. NCUR will replace the presentation process for the students involved.

“I’ve learned a lot about research and taking research, so I found how important it is to come up with a general plan in the beginning.” Bansal said.

Students in AP Research who are participating in NCUR are receiving a beneficial advancement on learning about how to conduct research on a bigger scale and present that research to an audience. This process will help them later on with their communication in their research as well as the process of researching.

• NCURrent research

Netflix’s look into teen suicide

• NCURrent research

You Checking? Hallway Culture

• NCURrent research

What’s the right thing to say?

• NCURrent research

Bend it like a Lady Spartan

• NCURrent research

Main Story

La Raza Unida: A united race

• NCURrent research

Sports

Track and Field 2017

• NCURrent research

Scope of Woke: History of Socially-Conscious Rappers

• NCURrent research

Sports

Bases Loaded: Spartan Softball 2017

• NCURrent research

Netflix’s look into teen suicide

NCURrent research