• SUBSCRIBE to The Scroll - SIX Issues for only $1

Awaken, Gambino

Donald Glover is a jack of all trades: writer, actor, comedian and musician. After two years of silence on any prospective projects since 2014, Glover has come back with full force, producing his own TV show, a highly acclaimed album and multiple projects lined up for the next couple of years.

Glover’s first introduction as an artist was writing for the NBC Show “30 Rock.” His comedic writing was well-received, which eventually landed him a Comedy Central special in 2010. Glover, however, was not committed to being a writer and began releasing small albums and singles between writing and doing stand-up shows.

In 2013, Glover partnered with TV station FX to produce, write and star in a TV show. “Atlanta,” released in 2016, has received praise from longtime fans and new viewers alike.

“I think he’s super talented, and I haven’t disliked anything that he’s done so far,” Corinne Coady (10) said. “I saw in an interview that [he] said he wanted the show to be for rappers, not about them, and I thought he accomplished that.”

The show has been nominated for countless awards, such as People’s Choice Awards. It has also won Critic’s Choice Award for Best Actor in a Comedy Series and two Golden Globes for both Best Television Series and Best Actor in a Television Series.

The show “Atlanta” revolves around music, something Glover is quite familiar with. Releasing albums since 2008, Glover started off with a small following, slowly growing and gaining recognition in the music industry.

In December 2013, Glover, under the stage name “Childish Gambino,” released the album, “Because of the Internet” and was once again met with praise and admiration from the music industry. Glover’s most recent musical project, “Awaken, My Love!,” was highly anticipated as the artist was still riding off the hype of his TV show.

“Awaken, My Love!” took fans familiar with Glover’s work by surprise. The first single released, “Me and Your Mama,” was a six-minute track with ambient vocals and soft piano scales that contrasted his usual hard rap lyrics and Atlanta-style beats.

The album is reminiscent of the 1970s band, Funkadelic, known for their deconstructed psychedelic rock. Glover’s shift in genres received praise, but patient fans longed for the familiar Childish Gambino raps.

“I do miss the good ol’ Childish Gambino days, but if this is what he’s doing to his future music, then I’ll still listen to it,” Crawford Wilson (12) said.

With the release of a new album and a hit TV show, Glover shows no signs of slowing his creative process. “Atlanta” has been picked up for a second season but will not air until 2018 due to his role as Lando Calrissian in the upcoming young Han Solo “Star Wars” movie.

Glover has not commented on releasing any music while working on his acting career, but fans are still excited about whatever career he focusses on.

“I’m excited for him to pursue his acting role more as well,” Wilson said. “He’s not being that one-dimensional artist. He also has that creative ability to act and create a TV show.”

• Awaken, Gambino

Netflix’s look into teen suicide

• Awaken, Gambino

You Checking? Hallway Culture

• Awaken, Gambino

What’s the right thing to say?

• Awaken, Gambino

Bend it like a Lady Spartan

• Awaken, Gambino

Main Story

La Raza Unida: A united race

• Awaken, Gambino

Sports

Track and Field 2017

• Awaken, Gambino

Scope of Woke: History of Socially-Conscious Rappers

• Awaken, Gambino

Sports

Bases Loaded: Spartan Softball 2017

• Awaken, Gambino

Netflix’s look into teen suicide

Awaken, Gambino