Jungkook’s “Golden” signifies the end of an era

Jungkook is the main vocalist of BTS. “Golden” sold 2.14 million copies its first day of sales making it break the record for biggest first day album sales for a soloist.

For the first time in 10 years, the purple microphone stands alone. Through triumphs and hardships, seven distinct colored microphones have managed to stay together through all the odds. Yet with BTS taking on “Chapter 2” of their journey, Jungkook’s purple microphone is the last to echo a new solo album. With six of the seven members finished with their solo debut albums, Jungkook enters the studio alone as the final page in “Chapter 2.” On Nov. 3, Jungkook dropped his all-English debut album “Golden”, consisting of 11 songs in which he experimented with styles and lyricism different from BTS’s regular discography.

“I like ‘Golden’ a lot,” Neha Kodali (10) said. “I think a lot of people wanted some Korean songs in his album. [While] that would be really nice, I feel like without it being in all-English it would not have been as accepted by Western society as much. I think that since his album is completely in English, it has grown in popularity and put him on the charts more.”

In June 2022, BTS announced that they would be embarking on a new chapter of their lives, “Chapter 2,” which would focus on the members as soloists rather than as a group. Throughout both this year and last, each member has released a solo debut album that uniquely represents them as individuals. To start his solo journey, on July 14, Jungkook released his first all-English single “Seven,” featuring Latto. The song debuted at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and fittingly stayed there for seven weeks. “Seven” made history as the fastest song to reach one billion streams on Spotify, doing so in 108 days.

“‘Seven’ recently got [one] billion streams on Spotify, which is unheard of in K-Pop,” Neha Kodali said. “[It is] amazing; I definitely wasn’t expecting that. [Now] that K-Pop is being incorporated into Western culture … a lot more people are appreciating K-Pop and Jungkook’s talents.”

“Seven” serves as the title track on “Golden” and takes on a more sensual approach from Jungkook’s past releases on BTS’s albums. It is to be noted, however, that no song on “Golden” is about Jungkook’s personal life. “Seven” consists of two versions: clean and explicit. Both versions center around the idea of praising a significant other “seven days a week.”

“‘Seven’ [is] one of my favorite [songs],” Satvika Kodali (11) said. “When I first heard it, the beat really had me dancing and I couldn’t stop singing. Jungkook really needs to continue making songs like this. Latto’s feature … made the whole song even better and I’d love to see her featured in more of his songs. I didn’t know too much about Latto before this song, but hearing ‘Seven’ [makes] me want to listen to some of her music now.”

After the initial success of “Seven,” Jungkook released his second single, “3D,” featuring Jack Harlow. “3D” takes on a contemporary R&B feel that incorporates more mature themes and language than “Seven.” While the opening songs on “Golden” are meant to be fun and upbeat, the album’s second half takes on a melancholy switch masked in heartbreak. The album closes with “Shot Glass of Tears” which serves as a steady-paced song, focused on the uncertainty of healing from an emotional breakup. Jungkook’s album made history by receiving 42.7 million streams on its first release day— the biggest for any South Korean soloist. “Golden” as a whole revolves around the ups and downs and sprinkles of physical pleasures that parties in a relationship experience.

“Overall I think he did an amazing job releasing this album,” Jackie Mendoza (10) said. “I love the songs [and] my favorite song from the album is ‘Shot Glass of Tears.’ Listening to his music makes my day better when I’m sad, [and] seeing all these achievements and Jungkook breaking records at a young age makes me feel proud of him.”

“Golden” serves as the final album to complete “Chapter 2” of BTS, but it is also the last album before all members officially enlist in the military. Throughout the past 10 years, Jungkook has entered hundreds of stages with his members right next to him. In December, he, along with Namjoon, Jimin and Taehyung, will officially enlist in the military. All seven albums and singles left behind by members provide fans with a piece of each member’s true self. Since their debut in June 2013, BTS has helped many fans find their sense of belonging and has reminded them that even though life is hard, they should not end their story. BTS’s story will not end with “Chapter 2”; it will continue in June 2025.

“It pains me to hear that [Jungkook is] going to the military,” Satvika Kodali said. “I really enjoy his music [and] I love him as a person. He’s really made me happy and joyful in my everyday life. [BTS’s] solo [journeys] really made me see all their values and how different they all are. All [of the] members are so talented and unique, and listening to their solo [music] made me grow closer to each and every one of them.”

$550
$500