White Station Scroll

White Station Scroll

White Station Scroll

Spartan Teacher Spotlights

Rachel Davis-Collins teaches World History, African American History and AP African American Studies. She has taught at White Station for 18 years. SOPHIA MARMION//THE SCROLL

Ms. Davis-Collins

What is your favorite White Station memory?

“With kids, it’s when I was pregnant with my daughter and a student brought me a book for my child on Where the Wild Things [Are] … I was like ‘Oh it’s so White Station they got me a book.’ My favorite silly thing is I think it was a senior prank and they put a whole classroom on top of the band building. They had a whole teacher’s desk, student’s desks [and] set up a whole classroom.” 

Other than a spartan, what mascot best represents the school?

“[The] sphynx … because it’s got a little bit of everything and we’re know-it-alls. So we’re gonna quiz everyone before you can get in.”

What is the best dress-up day you have seen?

“I love the classic, I love the seniors with the old people. I mean, they’ve done it for years and every year somebody comes up with something new. I mean every year someone gives me a new one … seniors normally always put it away.”

Student shout-out:

“Maimuna [Kanuteh (12)], she’s awesome sauce.” 

Ms. Richmond

Amanda Richmond teaches French I and II. She has taught at White Station for two years.
SOPHIA MARMION//THE SCROLL

Favorite White Station memory?

“ I really like kind of the small moments during like the days in teaching, you know, just like a random moment in the classroom. You know when students get something or there’s, like, a silliness during a lesson … I like those moments a lot and I get a lot of them at White Station, so I kind of just attribute those memories to being here.”

“Platypus … It doesn’t get enough love and it just seems like it’d be a really fun one to kind of get behind.”

Favorite and least favorite part of the school year?

“I’d say least favorite is the months immediately following Christmas break because they are so long and everyone is not here for it. Favorites, I would say I really like the beginning parts of the year and the end parts of the year because [at] the beginning, there’s all of this potential and newness and a lot more willingness with teachers and students trying to figure each other out. I love the last couple of months of the year because it’s like by that point we’ve all meshed. We understand each other. There’s a camaraderie that I really really love.” 

What is the funniest thing you have seen at White Station?

“Some of the costumes I’ve seen during Spirit Week. We had a couple of dinosaurs walk down here one of the days, so that was interesting.”

Student shout out:

“[Jayda Piverger (11)] for her enthusiasm early in the morning … but I always call her Céline Léa and she always uses Céline Léa.”

Donate to White Station Scroll
$550
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of White Station High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.