White Station Scroll

White Station Scroll

White Station Scroll

JROTC Company Wars: the battle of the best

BRISSIA GALLEGOS//USED WITH PERMISSION
Bravo Company Commander and First Sergeant Jordan Kirby (12) and NaCoria Love (10) pose for a picture right before an intense dodgeball tournament. Their company won the first Company Wars.

You’ve seen their neat uniforms around the halls, heard their cadences and shouts from time to time and caught a glimpse of their obstacle course by the freshman building. The JROTC program is no secret, yet there are many things about it that most students don’t know of. One such feature is Company Wars, a competition between the cadets of different companies in JROTC where they must use teamwork and communication to “battle” against the other groups in various games to win the overall event.

There are three different companies — Headquarters, Alpha and Bravo — and all of them participate in the two-hour after-school championships every few months.

“Company wars usually occurs three times a year,” Headquarters First Sergeant Jan Williams (11) said. “We have one in the fall, the spring and the winter.”

Williams, alongside her peers, helps plan the Company Wars and brainstorms different ideas for potential activities. In the past, games like soccer and dodgeball were a part of the event; however, for the next Company Wars, the committee wants to do something different.

“For this upcoming one … we’re thinking about doing an amazing race themed company war,” Eleanor Gunn (12), Headquarters Company Commander, said. “Where we get different things that involve flag-folding … and teamwork.”

Though learning these concepts and skills are vital to doing well in JROTC, there is another aspect of the wars that makes it important. Company wars are a common point where everyone can gather and have fun.

“[It brings] people from companies together because some aren’t all in the same class period … so they can see each other’s faces and see the company level leadership and be inspired to be in that leadership,” Gunn said. “It has a lot of teamwork which is very important to the JROTC program.”

Since JROTC often requires great physical and mental exertion, the leadership makes an effort to plan enjoyable events that everyone in the program can enjoy. Company Wars is an activity that falls under this category, designed to let the cadets have fun and appreciate the connections that they’ve made.

“Company wars is very informal compared to the other events … [it’s] a chance to relax and actually have fun between the companies,” Williams said.

Donate to White Station Scroll
$550
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of White Station High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.