Pinkett Smith’s local book signing

Jada Pinkett Smith recently released a new book titled “Worthy.” Smith visited Novel Memphis for a promotion event.
GOOGLE IMAGES

Many times, when celebrities schedule tours or events, they skip right over Memphis on the map and head to Nashville. However, this October, Jada Pinkett Smith landed in Memphis for an event at Novel Bookstore to promote her new book, ‘Worthy.’

Novel employees had been planning the event since the summer. In order to schedule and organize a date to host Smith’s event, Novel spent months communicating with Smith’s team.

“It meant …  understanding the set-up and expectations of how the event ought to run,” Emily Draffen, Novel employee said. “Also, promotion of the event to our customers and communicating with everyone who purchased a ticket about what to expect on the day of the event.”

The event lasted about three hours and had about 400 attendees. Prior to the event, Novel communicated with customers about where they would receive their tickets, when they would get their signed copies and when to get in line.

“The audience seemed excited,” Draffen said. “Everyone was very kind. A photo op with Jada was included and it was cool seeing some attendees in some really stunning dresses, and thoughtfully chosen outfits.”

Benny Kay (12) who works at the restaurant Libro inside of Novel, saw Smith walk in from afar surrounded by security guards into Novel’s event space.

“She was in a screen box so you couldn’t see her unless you paid to get in. Like, she was literally behind a screen and they let everyone just kind of walk in and go behind the screen for a few minutes,” Kay said.

$550
$500