Celebrity fandoms create outlets for fans

The+photo+above+is+the+Beyhive+fandom+logo.+Beyonc%C3%A9%E2%80%99s+Beyhive+has+been+around+for+over+20+years%2C+consisting+of+fans+from+all+backgrounds+and+ages.+
GOOGLE IMAGES
The photo above is the Beyhive fandom logo. Beyoncé’s Beyhive has been around for over 20 years, consisting of fans from all backgrounds and ages.

Whether it’s starting their show or pressing record on a camera, every celebrity or influencer has one thing in common: an audience of fans ready to watch them perform. Countless fandoms circle the internet to post videos, edits and interactions with their favorite celebrity. As many fans take every opportunity to listen to the music or watch the media of their favorites,  fandoms become very important to them. Fandoms help provide content and updates on the star, as well as a way to meet fellow fans.

“You get to meet a lot of different people from, like, all over the country – not even the country, just the world in general,” Kyra Richard (11) said, “It can also expose you to a lot of different ideas.”

Regardless of size, fandoms create an inclusive space for their members. They become environments where fans are free to express their love and emotions towards celebrities without the worry of judgment. Many fans are able to effortlessly strike up a conversation about their interests, allowing them to easily make close friends with others of the same fandom.

“It makes you feel connected.” Dailyn Dortch (12) said. “Even though you don’t know them or probably won’t ever see them in real life, it still lets you know that there’s people out there who like the same person as you.”

Taylor Swift releases her “The Eras Tour” film on Oct.13. This movie was advertised as a cheaper alternative for fans who could not attend the concert but still wanted the experience. (GOOGLE IMAGES)

Fandoms creating meaningful connections for their members is very important for many who may feel isolated otherwise. Through fandoms, celebrities are able to spread meaningful messages to their fans. Many celebrities provide encouragement to  their fans and may also be a source of representation. Fandoms encourage fans to follow what the celebrity stands for, connecting a community of fans who follow the celebrity’s platform.

“[Beyonce is] a powerful black woman, and she inspires black girls like me to strive for greatness,” Morgan Whitaker (12) said.

Fandoms often grow through the internet and social media. Apps such as X and TikTok let fans quickly post content as well as message other fans. Online fandoms can become very large and can influence viewers to join due to algorithms such as the For You Page on Tiktok or trending page on X. Many people create social media accounts dedicated to the fandom so that they may easily be recognized as a fan to gain followers and make new friends. These friendships can be created from across the world and pair people who may have never met otherwise but now have the opportunity to bond over a celebrity or influencer.

“I like connecting with my mutuals,” Whitaker said, “I’ll post a video and they’ll respond, and it’s really just back and forth talking.”

Regardless of whether the fan creates their own content or simply watches, fandoms can become very important to them. Fandoms help fans connect with each other and realize that there are many others with similar tastes as them. As fans grow more immersed in their fandoms, it slowly becomes a special piece of them.

“It’s kind of helped me develop some of my identity,” Richard said, “It’s just really like a sense of community.”

Morgan Whitaker (12) attends the Beyoncé concert in Nashville. Beyoncé’s Renaissance tour lasted five months and saw crowds of over 100,000 people. (MORGAN WHITAKER//USED WITH PERMISSION)

$550
$500