Debate between quality and cost

KALICE WOODS//USED WITH PERMISSIOn
Kalice Woods (10) takes a selfie with Ella Marszalek (10) on Mean Girls day during homecoming spirit week. Woods’ sweater and unitard were both purchased from Shein.

My top is from Shein, my pants are from Shein, my shoes are from Shein, and my jewelry is from Shein.” Shein is a popular site among teenagers where they can find clothing and accessories in any style at an affordable cost. 

“Clothes from Shein are generally cheaper and I like the styles that they have [on Shein],” Grace Bennett (12) said. 

Shein became popular through social media by following popular micro trends and creating new clothing to sell at low costs. While Shein is available to anyone, it is most popular among teens looking to purchase clothing without the income from a full-time job.

“It’s honestly about what’s my budget … I don’t have any source of income.” Kalice Woods (10) said.

While the cost of the clothing from Shein may be more appealing, the quality of the clothing reportedly deteriorates. The consequences of Shein’s low cost are manifested in the poorer condition of the clothing. “Some clothes are good quality but they’re also a lot cheaper so you can’t expect anything top tier,” Woods said. 

Despite the possibility that an order arrives in a bad condition, many teenagers would rather buy cheaper clothing regularly opposed to higher grade clothing. As a teenager grows, they usually wait to buy better quality clothing that will last until they are done growing, making Shein’s lower prices more attractive.

“Right now I prefer cost, but once I stop growing, then of course quality,” Woods said.

Though some orders arrive in a bad state, not all orders arrive in such a way. Some clothing and accessories from Shein prove to be in good condition and can last a long time.

“I use the [pants] I purchased at least twice a week … and they have proved [to be] very durable,” Bennett said. “I have had them for like two months.”

$550
$500