Filed under Student Life

New Humane Society Club seeks to find homes for abandoned animals

Back to Article
Back to Article

During one of the Humane Society’s monthly coin drives, Carrington Body (11) donates money. Member Anna O’Guin (9) collects the money and uses candy as an incentive to potential donors. By participating in this club event, O’Guin will receive participation points, which are required for attendance at the club’s end of the year puppy party.

Isabella Shaw

Isabella Shaw

Isabella Shaw

While walking around school, one might notice posters featuring “Pets of the Week.” These posters spotlight a few of the many animals that need homes at the Humane Society of Memphis and Shelby County. Their mission is to provide shelter, food and medical care to injured, neglected and abused animals.

This year, sophomore Abby O’Guin created the Humane Society Club that works with the Humane Society of Memphis and Shelby County to encourage people to adopt abandoned animals and pets.

“I established and organized the club because the Humane Society of Memphis and Shelby County have been saving the lives of so many animals, and I thought this was a good way to help them out,” O’Guin (10) said.

The process to organize the club was fairly simple. All O’Guin had to do was fill out a club form and find a sponsor. She asked her former physical science teacher Jennifer Patterson, who herself has a deep love for animals.

The club fundraises money that goes towards the Humane Society by holding coin drives each month during all lunches. Additionally, there is a donation box outside the main office designated for blankets, pet food, and toys.

“Our mission is to raise $2,500 by the end of the school year so we can write a check to the Humane Society,” Darya Orgil (10) said.

As an incentive, members are rewarded “points” depending on how many club activities in which they participate. Active members who have accumulated at least 10 points are awarded attendance to the puppy party at the end of the year, which is an event where they play with puppies at the shelter.

All of the New Humane Society Club activities serve one purpose: aid the Humane Society in finding homes for shelter animals.  

“There are way too many abandoned and neglected animals dumped at our local shelters,” Patterson said. “There is no way these facilities can care for all of these abandoned animals, so far too many are put to sleep. Adoption saves lives.”

• New Humane Society Club seeks to find homes for abandoned animals

News

Limited sex education at White Station results from public policy

How celebrities and politics are mixing in a new age of endorsement

Campbell forms affordable soccer team for inner-city players

Spartan traditions: the history behind the banana

Teen juuling: a national addiction crisis

White Station students debut their music via SoundCloud

MEMPHO Music Festival: a second year success

Fantasy football frenzy returns

New coach leads Lady Spartan soccer to another solid season

Spartan equestrians saddle up for competition