Filed under News, Sports

The Young and the Rec-less

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Young and the Rec-less

Members of Memphis Sonics and FC Lancaster face off in recreational basketball game.

Joseph Boughter / Scroll

Joseph Boughter / Scroll

Joseph Boughter / Scroll

Tryouts. Physicals. Team dues. It’s no secret there’s much more to athletic participation than showing up to games. Or is there? All across the city of Memphis recreational sports teams are on the rise. These teams aim to take the pressure and process out of team sports while leaving the exercise and fun.

Many busy students find that their schedule would take a huge hit if they were to add of the pressure of a school sport. Some students set aside their passion for their sport; while, others join a recreational sports team instead. The object of a rec team is not competition but instead promoting fun and passion for the sport.

“The main drive in [rec] sports is your passion to continue doing it. You could stop any time you want, but to continue doing it shows that you have motivation and love for that sport,” Petrosyan said.

For students like Petrosyan, recreational sports give an opportunity for sports that have not been established at White Station.

“I fence representing White Station although it isn’t a recognized sport at the school, “ said Lily Petrosyan (12).

Recreational sports teams are no strangers to White Station as popular teams such as the Memphis Sonics and FC Lancaster include several Spartan athletes, like former basketball player Wise Rudolph (12).

“I was not as raw at basketball as I thought I was…[but] I love being able to go out with my friends and play an organized sport. Often times in school sports, you are with the best guys who want to play that certain sport, most of which you are not friends with. This would make me less excited to go out and play a certain sport,” Rudolph said.

Rec teams are generally low commitment, and players will often meet with their team only twice per week: one time for practice and another for the game.

Organizations like the Memphis Athletic Ministries and KROC Memphis offer teens a plethora of opportunities to find a rec sport that suits them. However, with new rec teams popping up all over the city, some wonder if this will take talented players away from competitive sports teams. Rudolph does not think so.

“Rec offers kids who aren’t quite good enough or are busy with other things a chance to play sports…[but] the best players play school sports, “ Rudolph said.

Athletic or not, anyone can play recreational sports. All you need is a little free time and passion for the game.

• The Young and the Rec-less

News

Student Congress is fighting for change

• The Young and the Rec-less

LIII: an NFL Playoff and Super Bowl recap

• The Young and the Rec-less

“There’s the rub:” a guide to Memphis BBQ

• The Young and the Rec-less

A day in the life of a Spartan basketball player

• The Young and the Rec-less

Spartans reach new heights with rock climbing

• The Young and the Rec-less

An internationally-ranked jiu jitsu champion’s journey to success

• The Young and the Rec-less

News

Limited sex education at White Station results from public policy

• The Young and the Rec-less

How celebrities and politics are mixing in a new age of endorsement

• The Young and the Rec-less

Campbell forms affordable soccer team for inner-city players

• The Young and the Rec-less

Spartan traditions: the history behind the banana

The Young and the Rec-less