Parents: The backbone of White Station

Parents: The backbone of White Station

Although most students do not realize, parents are an integral part of the White Station
community. Parents help create an encouraging environment for White Station students.
Partners in Education, or PIE, is a parent organization that collectively supports each
student, parent, teacher, and administrator at White Station. These dedicated parents
coordinate teacher appreciation activities, the Senior Picnic, the Run for Sparta 5k,
educational funding, campus improvements, freshman orientation, and other activities.
PIE exists to ensure that students enjoy their years at White Station. Without this team of
adults working behind the scenes, many White Station events would not occur. The parents
involved in PIE are the glue that holds the school together.
“I think a lot of people feel that when their kids get into high school, they don’t need to help
out at the school anymore. The volunteer needs are definitely different than in elementary
school, but there is a large need for volunteers, especially in a public school setting,” said
Debbie Schaeffer, co-president of PIE.
Everyone sees the Whistler, the newsletter attached to our report cards. PIE parents write
this newsletter quarterly to update other parents and students about the school news. The
parents write about fundraisers, provide updates on all sports, and include an up-to-date
calendar of WSHS events.
Another segment of PIE is the Athletic Booster Club, which is composed of parents who
support WSHS athletics. The Athletic Booster Club periodically holds fundraisers,
membership drives, Spirit Item sales, and concession sales at home games. The proceeds
not only support athletic programs, but they also make the games more enjoyable to
attend.
Not only do parents run organizations like PIE and the Athletic Booster Club, but many also
become involved with individual classes and clubs.
Monique Beals, mother of Nick Beals (12) and Monique Beals (10), regularly volunteers at
White Station. Beals devotes her time to school activities whenever possible. She prefers
helping students and teachers on a more individual basis, and she cherishes the friendships
that have developed from getting to know WSHS staff. Beals loves meeting students around
campus.
“Volunteering at WSHS is just one small way that I can give back and express my
appreciation to the teachers, administrators, counselors, coaches, and staff for all they do
each day,” said Beals.
Additionally, Janet Stevenson, mother of Jack Stevenson (10), has been volunteering at her
children’s schools for almost 20 years. Stevenson balances her volunteering at school with
her career by making sure her boss knows family comes first. Stevenson is mainly involved
with the bowling team. She assists the coach with scoring and details at every practice and
match, and she chaperones the orchestra on trips.
“I love having my son Jack know that I care about him and that I understand what he does
every day,” said Stevenson.
The parent volunteers at White Station contribute a considerable amount of time, effort, and
energy into benefitting the school. Next time you see a parent volunteer around school, don’t
forget to say how much you appreciate their hard work.