• SUBSCRIBE to The Scroll - SIX Issues for only $1

Filed under Student Life

Mock Trial: guilty or not guilty

Mock Trial is not just a club that gives students the opportunity to learn about the American justice system by simulating a criminal or civil trial, but allows students to grow as individuals.

Although students get involved because of their interest in law, Mock Trial is not just for future lawyers. Joining the organization can also be a beneficial experience for people who are interested in working in a field that requires public speaking or knowledge of the law.

Even if a student is not interested in pursuing a future in law, the program can also help students gain a wealth of skills that will help them be successful in the future.

“I’m thinking about going into pre-med, and technically [Mock Trial] has nothing to do with pre-med, but I think I’ve have gained a lot of speaking skills and thinking on my feet,” team captain Anisha Dash (12) said.

Along with helping students gain speaking skills and confidence, it teaches students how to defend their opinions and stand their ground.

“[Mock Trial] teaches you that the more prepared you are, the more confident you’ll be,” Dash said.

Being a part of the Mock Trial team requires hard work and hours of preparation. Preparation for competition includes running through trials and developing their arguments.

“Competition is also mentally intimidating because it’s single elimination,” Jay Dharsandia (12) said. “It’s very tense and anxious because you can’t have a very bad day.”  

However, this should not stop students from joining.

“You should totally do it because it’s a really tight community, and [Mock Trial] helps you be comfortable in your own skin when you’re talking to people,”  Porter Clement (11) said.

There are classes that help interested participants understand the material. The classes are followed by tryouts that determine who gets on the 12-14 person team.

“The person that shows a good understanding and motivation are the people that get on the team,” Dash said.

Being a part of the Mock Trial team can be a rewarding experience if you are willing to work for it.

“Everything else we can teach, but you have to want it and be willing to work hard,” Dharsandia said.

• Mock Trial: guilty or not guilty

Netflix’s look into teen suicide

• Mock Trial: guilty or not guilty

You Checking? Hallway Culture

• Mock Trial: guilty or not guilty

What’s the right thing to say?

• Mock Trial: guilty or not guilty

Bend it like a Lady Spartan

• Mock Trial: guilty or not guilty

Main Story

La Raza Unida: A united race

• Mock Trial: guilty or not guilty

Sports

Track and Field 2017

• Mock Trial: guilty or not guilty

Scope of Woke: History of Socially-Conscious Rappers

• Mock Trial: guilty or not guilty

Sports

Bases Loaded: Spartan Softball 2017

• Mock Trial: guilty or not guilty

Netflix’s look into teen suicide

Mock Trial: guilty or not guilty