White Station Scroll

White Station Scroll

White Station Scroll

Minimalism and maximalism influences pop culture immensely

Minimalism, shown on the left, incorporates white shades and simple furniture to display an advanced and expensive look. While maximalism, shown on the right, made use of flashy artistry to create a striking statement.
GOOGLE IMAGES

Vibrant, multicolored, polka-dotted bows or classic, monochromatic, elegant earrings—take a pick. Minimalism and maximalism have become a form of self-expression for each generation by providing the opportunity to convey one’s personality and personal interests through the use of material objects.

Minimalism has become a recent trend, with its sleek and simple, yet appealing style. By devoting more attention to neutral colors and patterns, a simplistic and clean look is conveyed. Neha Kodali (10), an AP 2-D Art student discusses how minimalists represent this aesthetic. 

“I guess you can tell if like the person’s style has a lot of neutral colors, then it’s minimalism,” Kodali said. “If they are using a lot of neutrals that means they are going for a more simplistic and clean look. Also, if they are not going with shapes which are too out there, then they are going for a more clean-cut look.”

Minimalism, shown on the left, utilizes neutral colors and simple fabrics to present an elegant and expensive look. While maximalism, shown on the right, made use of extravagant garments to create a dramatic statement.

On the other hand, maximalism has influenced pop culture immensely with its complex and energetic composition. Many say the key idea of maximalism is to exaggerate and capture the excessive quantity of items to embrace an outgoing, eye-catching and thrilling environment. 

“I think maximalism is a style of interior design where there’s like contrast to minimalism,” Kodali said. “There’s a lot of colors, crazy shapes and patterns, and [it’s] a lot unlike minimalism.”

Since minimalism and maximalism are described as forms of self expression, personalities can resonate with both concepts. Charles Berlin, AP Art teacher, says each idea has its own unique personality traits. 

“I think you could probably say that it’s [minimalism] like getting back to the basics, it’s more natural, more pure, more truthful … minimalism operates on the most basic geometric statements that you could probably make…” Berlin said. “I would say it [maximalism] would probably court the sensibilities of someone who is very divergent and wants a lot of variety and you know excitement.”

Many students at White Station express themselves distinctively, providing teachers with the benefit to recognize their students’ personalities and style types quickly. Berlin says he can easily tell whether one of his arts students is a maximalist or minimalist. 

“It’s very obvious…there’s actually two types of artists out there…you have a linear artist and you have a volume artist. Linear artists just love to work in lines that would be minimalist, and volume artists like to just fill the void,” Berlin says. 

Gen Z are known for their diverse, ambitious style and independence, correlating more with maximalism. Zoe Taylor (10), an AP 2D Art student, says traits of maximalism and minimalism can be categorized depending on the age cohort of a Gen Z. 

“I would say the older Gen Z, like the ones closer to millennials, would be more minimalistic because you know they are starting to have their own houses and stuff and so they want to follow those trends,” Taylor says. “But when it comes to the younger Gen Z’s, they are still teenagers and learning how to express themselves, finding out what they like and don’t like, and I think that would make them more maximalist.”

Over the years, minimalism and maximalism have adapted to each generation’s special identities. 

“Now [minimalism and maximalism] instead of just like having as little as possible they have changed it to like, ‘You can have more, but still be cohesive’ in the fact that it’s not too much,” Taylor says. 

Donate to White Station Scroll
$550
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of White Station High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.