MEMPHO Music Festival: a second year success

Post+Malone+brings+the+energy+as+he+performs+at+the+Mempho+Music+Festival.+The+event%2C+held+on+Oct.+6+and+7%2C+has+seen+tremendous+growth+since+its+debut+last+year.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Post Malone brings the energy as he performs at the Mempho Music Festival. The event, held on Oct. 6 and 7, has seen tremendous growth since its debut last year.

People with a passion for late nights, dancing in sweaty crowds and singing along with their favorite musicians enjoyed the weekend at MEMPHO Music Festival. Big River Productions held its second annual music festival at Shelby Farms Park on Oct. 6 and 7 with live performances from local bands and renowned artists. This year’s lineup included noted singers Janelle Monáe, Beck and Post Malone.

In its debut year, MEMPHO Music Festival 2017 mostly consisted of local musicians like Star and Micey, and indie artists like Cage the Elephant and Cold War Kids; however, this year’s lineup was more diverse. Mempho 2018 had live performances from rappers, R&B singers, DJs, indie artists and pop bands. Because the multi-day concert event advertised shows from local and mainstream artists, the attendance was greater and more diverse. Bayley Jones (11) and Zoey Brewer (11) did not attend last year, but after seeing this year’s lineup, Mempho 2018 was a must-go.

The two camped in front of the stage for 12 hours to see sensational hip-hop artist Post Malone.

“It was the best experience of my life. [Post Malone] kept looking over and making eye contact and smiled at me a few times,” Jones said. “I was crying half the time out of pure joy that I was there.”

MEMPHO succeeded this year in touching the lives of the festival-goers and bringing Memphis’s culture to life. Not only did the music celebrate the city’s soul, but the Southern hospitality did too.

“The security was really nice,” Jones said. “I had the time of my life at Mempho, and people seemed to be less rude.”

MEMPHO’s organization provided a welcoming environment for its guests. Everyone was offered re-entry, free water and shaded areas. While security was checking in the guests and searching their bags, they were making friendly conversation and encouraging everyone to have fun. The security was also pulling out the rowdy people in the crowd, aiding the ones that had fainted and passing out water bottles to keep people from having to leave the crowd and lose their spots.

MEMPHO Music Festival 2018 was well-organized and provided an energetic atmosphere of music and unity. The festival has seen growth since its premiere and will continue to bring attention to Memphis’s musical legacy for years to come.

• MEMPHO Music Festival: a second year success

News

Limited sex education at White Station results from public policy

How celebrities and politics are mixing in a new age of endorsement

Campbell forms affordable soccer team for inner-city players

Spartan traditions: the history behind the banana

Teen juuling: a national addiction crisis

White Station students debut their music via SoundCloud

Fantasy football frenzy returns

New coach leads Lady Spartan soccer to another solid season

Spartan equestrians saddle up for competition

Spartan pushes limits with parkour