The face behind the film: Janay Kelley wins Indie Memphis Youth Film Festival

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kelley (11) excitedly displays the Grand Jury Prize for her film “The Death of Hip Hop.”

Steven Spielberg. Wes Anderson. George Lucas. These are all well-known directors. But did you know there is an award-winning filmographer at White Station? Her name is Janay Kelley.

Sept. 8 marked the third annual Indie Memphis Youth Film Festival in which a few young filmmakers were selected to showcase their work to an audience of hundreds of people.

Using only a black backdrop and her voice, Kelley recorded her film “The Death of Hip Hop.”

“It’s a poem where I use a whole bunch of classic rap and hip hop references to describe a neighborhood and how the people in that neighborhood interact with each other,” Kelley (11) said.

Without her knowledge, Kelley’s supervisor entered her film into the festival, where it was chosen to be debuted. Participating in the event helped Kelley find her love for filmmaking and encouraged her to enter more festivals in the future.

“I really have an undiscovered passion for filmmaking, and the fact that I have the opportunity to make more films is just something I really want to explore,” Kelley said.

The positive experience and supportive atmosphere are the main reasons why Kelley recommends festivals to fellow lovers of film.

“If you feel singled-out, that’s why you go to these film festivals,” Kelley said. “You can come and have a community.”

• The face behind the film: Janay Kelley wins Indie Memphis Youth Film Festival

Teen juuling: a national addiction crisis

White Station students debut their music via SoundCloud

MEMPHO Music Festival: a second year success

Fantasy football frenzy returns

New coach leads Lady Spartan soccer to another solid season

Spartan equestrians saddle up for competition

Celebrity tragedies prompt hard discussions about addiction

Spartan pushes limits with parkour

• Arts & Entertainment

Marching band’s leadership revamped