Filed under Sports

White Station football team looks to continue midseason success

Back to Article
Back to Article

White Station takes the field against Hernando. The Spartans would score 31 points en route to their first victory of the year.

Sloan Huebner

Sloan Huebner

Sloan Huebner

So far, White Station’s football team has scored 54 points in a game, almost beaten one of the best teams in the state and scored a touchdown in the final minute of a game to achieve a comeback victory. And the season isn’t even over yet. In their remaining games, the Spartans are looking to create more signature moments and make a playoff run.

“Right now, the season is on the way up to me,” Eli Neal (12), a team captain and starting linebacker and running back, said.

However, as good as any season may be, all teams must face challenges. For White Station, that challenge has been injuries.

“We’ve had a bunch of injuries these past three weeks,” Coach Joe Rocconi said, “but [we] have responded and overcome.”

White Station initially struggled to find their first win, losing three straight games against Briarcrest, Desoto Central and Christian Brothers. Yet, in the game against CBHS, the team showed promise, only allowing 28 points and losing by one score.

The Spartans picked up their first win of the season against Hernando, giving the team a confidence boost going forward that helped spark big wins at Arlington and Bartlett in which White Station scored 54 and 35 points, respectively.

“Arlington was a big win for us,” Rod Farmer (12), a starting wide receiver, said. “It was the start of us getting it rolling, and we all kinda played a good game.”

White Station still has games against Memphis Central and rival Whitehaven before the playoffs, and the team aims to keep improving and stay focused for the rest of the year.

“I want to [continue to] play at the level I know we can play at each and every week, each and every practice,” Neal said, “and of course I want that gold ball at the end.”

This is a team that understands the value of confidence and consistency. Last season, White Station was propelled to the quarterfinals of the playoffs, beating previously undefeated Germantown off of a late-season wave of momentum.

“[The most important thing] is keeping that confidence that we come out with—throughout the week, make sure we bring that into the game. Because I feel like when we had that level of confidence, along with the energy we put forth,” Neal said, “no one can touch us.”

• White Station football team looks to continue midseason success

Teen juuling: a national addiction crisis

White Station students debut their music via SoundCloud

MEMPHO Music Festival: a second year success

Fantasy football frenzy returns

New coach leads Lady Spartan soccer to another solid season

Spartan equestrians saddle up for competition

Celebrity tragedies prompt hard discussions about addiction

Spartan pushes limits with parkour

• Arts & Entertainment

Marching band’s leadership revamped