Filed under Student Life

Senior night at the Station

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior night at the Station

Spartan seniors gathered tonight for Senior Night, a college informational meeting. Steven Mizell, an admissions counselor, and Matt Rhodes, a financial aid officer, from the University of Memphis spoke to students and parents about the college application process.

Isabella Shaw

Isabella Shaw

Isabella Shaw

Tuesday, September 11, Spartan seniors and their parents gathered in the auditorium to discuss pertinent details surrounding their final year of high school and the preliminary steps toward college.

Steven Mizell and Matt Rhodes, admissions and financial aid officers from the University of Memphis, spoke to students and parents about starting to plan for college.

Mizell, U of M’s admissions counselor, stressed that students remain themselves during the application process, think of how their application will present themselves, visit their intended colleges, and most importantly, know why they are going to college.

Rhodes, U of M’s financial aid officer, stressed the importance of signing up for FAFSA, (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), which opens Oct. 1. He also explained the many different forms of financial aid, from scholarships to grants, to federal student loans. According to him, it is important that students know their options and apply for as much as they can because scholarships and such can add up.

Mrs. Fleming and Mrs. Heaston, two school counselors, also spoke, giving general information. One of their points was that the counselor website has been worked on and updated, and all students will be able to find information from time to time on it. As of now, there are a few scholarship opportunities posted.

By the looks of it, Spartan seniors have much planning to look forward to this year, but White Station will do its best to ensure that the class of 2019 has its best year yet.

• Senior night at the Station

News

Student Congress is fighting for change

• Senior night at the Station

LIII: an NFL Playoff and Super Bowl recap

• Senior night at the Station

“There’s the rub:” a guide to Memphis BBQ

• Senior night at the Station

A day in the life of a Spartan basketball player

• Senior night at the Station

Spartans reach new heights with rock climbing

• Senior night at the Station

An internationally-ranked jiu jitsu champion’s journey to success

• Senior night at the Station

News

Limited sex education at White Station results from public policy

• Senior night at the Station

How celebrities and politics are mixing in a new age of endorsement

• Senior night at the Station

Campbell forms affordable soccer team for inner-city players

• Senior night at the Station

Spartan traditions: the history behind the banana

Senior night at the Station