Exams or exemptions?

Annie Leow

Exemption forms are something many students look forward to receiving at the end of the semester.

The early mornings, the dreary tests and the drag of the second semester. For many students, motivation to make it through the school year comes in the form of exemptions from final exams.

The policy that dictates this was set by Shelby County School Board. All students have the opportunity to exempt from exams in the second semester. Furthermore, to allow time to focus on college applications, seniors can exempt in the first semester as well. Qualifications include having a 90 or above average and three or fewer excused absences, though the latter contains more gray area.

“They are really handled on a case-by-case basis,” Vice Principal Carrye Holland said. “So at the end of the semester, big picture, he [Mr. Mansfield] can make decisions about, maybe, if you just had one extended illness that put you over three days.”

She gave the example of a student contracting mononucleosis and being absent for more than three days. Even after consideration, however, the verdict varies.

“Last year I was sick for like five days and some of my teachers exempted me, but most of them didn’t,” Wren Perdue (10) said.

College-related absences also raise questions. It is important to distinguish interviews from visits, since most interviews qualify as excused but visits do not. If admission or scholarship to college is dependent on an interview, it is typically approved to be an excused absence..

Technicalities aside, the possibility of avoiding exams is sufficient incentive for many students to attend school as much as possible.

“I mean, some of them are coming to school with real illness to keep that exemption so I think it’s very motivating,” Holland said.

Chinnu Alli (10), a student in the honors program and taking AP classes, shared why she favors avoiding the stress of finals.

“The exemption policy is a great way to motivate me because I know that I’m overwhelmed by trying to apply to summer programs and AP classes. Although I already hold myself to high standards, it’s nice to see the school rewarding me as well,” Alli said.