• SUBSCRIBE to The Scroll - SIX Issues for only $1

Filed under Sports

Memphis Tiger football team flourishes behind Miller and Ferguson

Head Coach Mike Norvell embraces star receiver Anthony Miller after he tallies four touchdowns in a win against Connecticut

RepublicanAmerican, rep-am.com

The Memphis Tigers are currently ranked in the Top 25 of all college football. A mixture of superb coaching and a high-powered offense is the main reason for success. As a one-loss team with an impressive track record, Memphis has aspirations to make a mark during bowl season.

Much of this year’s success can be attributed to Head Coach Mike Norvell. Since coming to Memphis, he has implemented an explosive offense that consistently puts up huge point totals, including a 48-45 victory over formerly ranked UCLA. Most games involving the Tigers end up with impressive game scores and statistics. In wins against Connecticut and East Carolina, the Tigers scored 70.  The defense can fall short at times, but holds the opposing offense at crucial moments.

Longtime Tigers fan and White Station Senior Zealand Silver has been dazzled by the job Norvell has done, especially following the departure of current Virginia Tech coach Justin Fuente.

I am impressed with the job Norvell has done,” Silver said. “He came in after a great coach and continued to win.”

Memphis would not be in its current position without the play of former walk-on receiver Anthony Miller and quarterback Riley Ferguson. Miller, the receiver who holds the receiving yards and touchdown records at Memphis, has undoubtedly stepped it up this year. He achieved another 1000-yard receiving season (1212 this regular season), and has become the all-time reception leader in Tigers football history. Certain NFL Draft analysts project him going as a first-round draft pick, a huge appraisal for a former Memphis high school standout.

Ferguson has also had a stellar season as the quarterback. Behind a talented, underrated Memphis offensive line, he has excelled. Since throwing three interceptions in the game versus the University of Central Florida, he has had 18 TD’s and two interceptions.

Being ranked is not enough for the win-hungry Tigers. Finishing the regular season at 10-1, Memphis lost a double overtime heartbreaker in the AAC Championship game against UCF, 62-55. They will take on the Iowa State Cyclones in the Liberty Bowl which will be played here in Memphis. The Tigers have the standout players, the all-around talent, and the swagger of a team ready to be in its third bowl in three seasons.

• Memphis Tiger football team flourishes behind Miller and Ferguson

“Wicked”: the story of the Witches of Oz

Does high school stifle creativity?

Don’t wing it: Where to eat wings like a true Memphian

“Black Panther” changes the game for super hero movies

Building engineer sacrifices time for student safety on snow day

• Arts & Entertainment

Marching band’s leadership revamped

Student Life

Student beekeeper hosts his own bee colonies

Student Life

Accepting the AP challenge

Sports

Basketball cheer flourishes under new coach