Financial freedom

Standing in close proximity to the cash register, I am faced with a strickening decision. Do I spend my hard-earned money or use the borrowed 20 dollars from my parents? This is an issue that plagues many teenagers who are moving towards graduating from high school and away from the financial support of their parents.

Finances are rarely on the minds of high schoolers, but always needed in their pockets. Students need money for AP classes, extracurriculars and more; therefore, it is very difficult to avoid talking about finances.

Few underclassmen have jobs in order to get acquainted with a high school workload before diving into the balance of school and work. But is this a smart decision?

“I think it is good practice to get a job during high school, but I don’t think it’s necessary, “ Meredith Wanderman (12) said.

Jobs provide students experience in maintaining a certain GPA while earning money necessary for minor expenses. The downsides are possible loss of sleep, energy and falling academic grades. In most cases, parents pay for these minor school expenses. However, this encourages financial dependence.

Beginning to support yourself in high school can initiate a decrease in total dependence. In addition, it can help you when crossing from childhood to adulthood.

“If you save money [with a job] in high school, supporting yourself will be easier when you get to college,” Kenny Yisrael (12) said.

Taking the initial steps to get a job fosters responsibility, time management and aids students when transitioning to financial independence in college. Even if you are supported by your parents now, it is not necessarily a bad thing. You just can’t rely on them forever.Supporting Yourself Pic