What is the point behind the points?

An AP/Honors student’s report card.

“Oh no, it’s report card day and I know I didn’t get the “A” I wanted in Calculus. I hope that I did well.

Boom. You did better than you thought, but did you ever wonder how that was possible? Most people have calculated what they believe to be their class score based on the variance in grades they have received during the quarter, so how does this magical grade just appear?  Sheer hope and luck do not always get the job done; instead, it’s the unwavering three points gained for an honors class and five points for an AP class. Yes, these may be a blessing in disguise to those who take higher-level classes, but what about the people who don’t?

The people who don’t get points for the effort, hard work and drive that they put into their schoolwork walk the halls with you everyday. What message does it send to these students who believe that their work is hard, just like an honors/AP student believes of theirs?

“I think it makes them feel horrible. You shouldn’t be denied advantages just for not taking certain classes,” AP student Sonia Babu (12) said.

This point system creates a divide between the two groups of people; it is completely understandable that students who take regular classes would feel cast aside by this program.

On the other hand, it is easy to see how honors/AP students would feel that they deserve the extra points. Hours and hours of homework are thrown upon some honors/AP students. After sacrificing sleep to get the job done, it seems worthwhile when your report card is handed back with an extra boost. But the underlying question here is “Why do they take these classes?”

An AP class is best for a student who feels they understand the course material, instead of  someone who wants to take the class to receive its advantages or because it is a graduation requirement. Some people take AP/honors classes because they want to challenge themselves, but no one is forcing them to do so.

Do honors/AP students deserve extra points? Real life doesn’t give out free favors for challenging yourself, so how does this prepare them for the true challenge ahead?

This system doesn’t.

“We all go to the same school. I feel that just because certain students are more advanced in knowledge than others, that does not mean those students should be rewarded with more points,” Shawques Jones (12) said.

The students who take advanced classes should be applauded for their hard work, but extra points are not the way to do it. Not when this reward tears down other students in the process. If we want to keep this point system, a new way of incorporating each and every student must be devised.

Nevertheless, I urge Honors/AP students to look past the surface of their report cards. Instead of thinking about why you deserved to receive extra points, consider why you are given extra points over others.