White Station Scroll

White Station Scroll

Teacher spotlights!

An introduction to beloved teachers Ms. Caroline Phillips-Burk, Mrs. Tracy Duckworth, and Mr. Thomas Harris

Ms. Phillips-Burk

What role do you hold at White Station?

“I am the student teacher for Mr. Massey who is the choir director. So, generally I teach first period which is treble choir, an auditioned treble choir, and then I teach freshman treble choir. I also assist Mr. Massey throughout the rest of the day, observing him, [and] co-teaching with him.”

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?

“Show up every day consistently. No one likes someone that if they slept badly or had a bad day, they show up and they’re negative or they’re unpredictable. Put your personal feelings aside so you can be consistent and people can rely on you and trust you, especially because teaching music and teaching choir is such a personal thing.”

If you could pick up a new skill in an instant, what would it be?

“I want to be able to play the organ. The organ is my favorite instrument.”

If you could have dinner with any historical figure/book character/etc, who would it be and why?

“Hermione Granger because she is the original girl boss.”

If you could go back in time and give your younger teacher-self one piece of advice, what would it be?

“Buy comfortable shoes. You don’t need to wear heels. But probably also like, be candid. Be candid with your students, and it’ll help you help them.”

Mrs. Duckworth

What role do you hold at White Station?

“[I am the] English I and mythology teacher, Model UN sponsor, E-Board [and] student council sponsor, and humane society club sponsor.”

“Be flexible. Change is the only constant, and your ability to handle those challenging situations must be able to shift. If you can problem solve, then you can deal with change much easier.”

“Playing a musical instrument like guitar or piano, specifically.”

“I don’t like this question because there are too many answers. What qualifies as a historical figure? Politicians, inventors, performers? The first person I thought of was Robin Williams from Dead Poets Society, which links back to Taylor Swift because of the Tortured Poets Department album that just came out. And that makes me think about authors, and then you said book characters so again there’s too many choices… like Eric Northman from the Sooki Stackhouse book.”

“Do more fun things with the students: field trips, classroom games, attend more events. I have done this here but I wish I had started sooner.”

Mr. Thomas Harris

What role do you hold at White Station?

“I am the AP Computer Science Principles and AP Computer Science A teacher. I am also the WSHS Webmaster, AAPI [Asian American & Pacific-Islander] Club sponsor, [and the] ETBI [Emerging Technologies] sponsor and Entrepreneurship Club sponsor.”

“Bloom where you’re planted. It is encouragement for making the best of your current circumstances and thriving regardless of where you are or your situation.”

“I would choose to become more proficient at playing the piano. Although I took lessons at the age of 13, I didn’t really engage with them seriously back then.”

“If I could have dinner with any historical figure, I’d choose Ernest Hemingway. His love for cats and his brilliant writing would make for fascinating dinner conversation. We could discuss his adventurous life and literary insights, perhaps in the company of a few of his beloved cats.”

“Always take time for yourself. The passion and energy you bring to teaching are invaluable, but maintaining your own well-being is essential to sustain that. Balance your dedication to your students with self-care to avoid burnout and stay inspired.”

Donate to White Station Scroll
$550
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of White Station High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.