Dinstuhl’s: A delicious destination for desserts

Dinstuhl%E2%80%99s+Candies+is+located+in+the+Laurelwood+parking+lot+next+to+Panera+Bread.+The+candy+shop+has+been+around+since+1902+with+five+generations+of+history.+
MAYA ZELINSKI//THE SCROLL
Dinstuhl’s Candies is located in the Laurelwood parking lot next to Panera Bread. The candy shop has been around since 1902 with five generations of history.

Dinstuhl’s Candies is the home to a plethora of unique but classic Southern candies. Tucked away in a corner of the Laurelwood shopping center, the candy store is a small yet bustling business. Dinstuhl’s was created over 100 years ago in 1902 by Charles Martin Dinstuhl here in Memphis. In the 1920s, Dinstuhl’s son, Charlies Martin Dinstuhl Jr., joined the business and since then it has become a tradition for every generation of Dinstuhl’s to take over the shop. Throughout five generations, the Dinstuhl’s have passed down signature recipes, dating back to World War ll, such as their chocolate pecan fudge and cashew crunch.  In 2003, the Moss family bought the company to make sure the family establishment will keep providing quality candies for future generations. Dinstuhl’s Candies is still owned by a descendant of Charles Martin Dinstuhl, Rebecca Dinstuhl. The company is kosher certified and always uses fresh ingredients. Dinstuhl’s Candies is not only popular among Memphis residents, but it has also been ranked as the best candy store in the South and gone on to large events such as the Superbowl and Kentucky Derby. The praise is deserved, and it is shocking that the store has not expanded further. 

Dinstuhl’s Candies offers an assortment of candies to choose from including fudge, truffles, s’mores and chocolate bars. Their signature chocolate pecan fudge dish recipes has been passed down throughout each generation. (MAYA ZELINSKI//THE SCROLL)

There are both classic chocolate goods as well as unusual desserts that have found their home at Dinstuhl’s Candies. In the classic chocolate department, the store sells plain milk chocolate bars. This chocolate is smooth, rich and decadent. It is hard to eat a lot at once, yet leaves you wanting more. This chocolate coats many of their typical candies, including their heart-shaped milk chocolate covered peanut butter or caramel sold during Valentine’s Day. The milk chocolate adds perfectly to the taste and does not overpower it. The peanut butter is soft and savory; The caramel tastes fresh, it oozes and is not chewy. Dinstuhl’s Candies also sells milk chocolate covered Oreos. These treats are sweet and addictive, despite being a bit hard to bite down on. On the more unique side of things, there are also chocolate covered orange peels. The peel almost has the texture of a gummy, and the zest flavor is strong. As a result, dark chocolate covered peels are the way to go rather than milk chocolate.

If you are not a chocolate fan, do not fret. Dinstuhl’s Candies also makes many chocolate free goodies. As a store known for their Southern desserts, there are multiple pralines to choose from. The chewy pecan praline is indeed chewy as its texture nearly resembles caramel. This would be an enjoyable treat for any praline or nutty candy enjoyers. Additionally, mixed in with the display case of orange peels and truffles, there is individually sized toffee available to purchase. The English butter toffee is sweet and crunchy, and it is sure to satisfy any cravings for a sweet treat without too much chocolate. 

One of Dinstuhl’s most popular Valentine’s Day treats are their chocolate covered strawberries. They are a classic chilled dessert complete with Dinstuhl’s rich milk chocolate. (GOOGLE IMAGES)

Dinstuhl’s Candies is a unique store with a large variety of desserts to enjoy. The store puts their own spin on Southern classics to create treats for all to enjoy. The store is a timeless location in Memphis and is too a hidden gem rich in history—and chocolate.

Dinstuhl’s Candies is a prime location for Valentine’s Day goodies. Many items sold out during Valentine’s week, and the remaining small items were placed on sale. (MAYA ZELINSKI//THE SCROLL)

$550
$500