White Station Scroll

White Station Scroll

White Station Scroll

‘LOST FOREVER’ in ‘UTOPIA’

Pictured is the official cover art for the “UTOPIA’” album which was released Jul. 28th, 2023. Travis Scott can be seen falling into the imagined ‘world’ of his latest album.
GOOGLE IMAGES//USED WITH PERMISSION

Up until Jul. 28th, 2023, it had been five years since Travis Scott released an album his last work being his hit album, “ASTROWORLD.” Following the boom of “ASTROWORLD,” fans were left wanting more from Scott. Many waited for their chance to step back into Scott’s world. Now, the wait is over. Welcome to “UTOPIA.” 

Fans endured the long, five year wait for more music from Travis Scott. When the official release date of  “UTOPIA” was announced, many anticipated to listen to it as soon as it dropped. Quite a few fans timed the release down to the minute, waiting for the clock to strike 11 p.m. CST (Central Standard Time) so they could press play. 

“Me and my friends all listened to it right when it dropped,” Joshua Robinson (11) said. “We were texting each other back and forth while listening. All of us would hear the features at the same time and be like ‘no way.’ It was really fun. That was probably one of the best listening experiences I had in a while listening to an album.”

Along with the anticipation came the expectations. Most fans held high standards for this album. They hoped that “UTOPIA” would be worth the wait. Some fans even felt that because it had been such a long time since Scott dropped anything, the album would be a ‘hit or miss.’ Of course, many fans hoped for a hit. 

“Honestly, before it came out, I hoped it was gonna be groundbreaking and amazing,” Brian Franklin (11) said. “If it wasn’t, then it was going to end up being terrible. There was no in between.”

When the time came to tune in, fans turned up. Upon listening, fans were met with Scott’s ingenious experimentation. The album explores Scott’s new sounds while staying true to his own distinctive style. While hip-hop remains at the forefront of the album, elements of trap, psychedelic rock and EDSM are seamlessly blended throughout. Fans gravitated towards songs such as “FE!N,” “HYAENA,” “MELTDOWN” and “LOST FOREVER.” These songs have accumulated an estimated 400,000,000+ streams on Spotify 

“I loved “FEIN” and “I KNOW,” Lauren Perez (10) said. “Those were definitely my favorites.”  

Aside from Scott’s creative production, an impressive lineup of artists were included. Listeners were quick to praise the features included on the album and excited to see that artists like Drake, Beyoncé, Playboi Carti and 21 Savage made an appearance. Lesser-known and unexpected  but welcomed artists such as Rob49  were also featured. The diverse display of talents added dimension and depth to the album.

“The range was amazing,” Franklin said. “You go from having Playboi Carti on there, Drake, Pharrell, Kid Cudi. Then you have people I’ve never heard of, like I didn’t know who Rob49 was. But his feature was top two, probably one of the best on the album.”

Upon listening, it was evident to many fans that “UTOPIA” was not just an album, but an experience. Scott creates a story that dives into the human mind; exploring the highs and lows of existence while simultaneously questioning it. “UTOPIA” provides listeners with insight into Scott’s personal triumphs and tribulations. The album presented new rhythms and beats never before seen from the artist cultivating an immersive experience. Art and sound are harmoniously united in “UTOPIA.”

“I feel like there’s a little something for everybody on [UTOPIA],” Robinson (11) said. “[Scott] opened up a window for people to explore more music.”

Donate to White Station Scroll
$550
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of White Station High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.