The land of touchdowns and home runs gets introduced to European football

JOSHUA WHITE//USED WITH PERMISSION
Tyler Yang (12) clears the ball in a game against Germantown High School. For many, the local high school team is the most accessible way one can play soccer and train to get better.

Amr Maria (11) wears a Liverpool F.C. jersey, an English club playing in the Premier League. Fans show their support through jersey purchases and represent their support through social media and room decor.

From the land of hail marys and free throws, a new dawn emerges on football, or, per American culture, soccer, pitches nationwide. The sport that was once niche and navigated the periphery of pop culture in the United States has risen to seize its spotlight. With a transatlantic breeze carrying the echoes of European fandom, and soccer superstar Lionel Messi, soccer has firmly planted its roots in American soil, intertwining athleticism with artistry and entertainment. From the electrifying atmosphere of Premier League watch parties to the jersey-clad crowds gathering to witness iconic moments on Major League Soccer turf, the growth of soccer in America is not just a trend—it’s a testimonial to a vibrant cultural fusion that’s reshaping the nation’s entertainment landscape.

Premier League, Bundesliga, Ligue 1, La Liga and Serie A, all European leagues in the top flight, all regarded as the best football leagues in the world. Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, Manchester United, Bayern Munich, Liverpool and Juventus, all soccer clubs worth billions. Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Kylian Mbappe, and Neymar, all world-class players. How does this apply to America, all the way across the Atlantic Ocean? What ignited the passion of the United States to get into soccer? 

“[Soccer] is a place where you can have fun with a bunch of people,” Tyler Yang (12) said. “You can yell at them and let out your emotions without too much consequence. You can shove if a guy is being too mean. It’s a fun way to exercise.”

The FIFA World Cup is an international tournament where countries compete to qualify and win, sending their best players to play. The impact of the World Cup extends beyond borders, reaching even the far corners of the United States where soccer, once a niche sport, has experienced a surge in popularity and significance. The U.S. Men’s National Team’s journey to the Round of 16 in the 2022 World Cup stands as a defining moment. As games were televised in classrooms during school, a wave of enthusiasm and interest was set in motion. This breakthrough performance, coupled with social media, illuminated the potential of soccer to capture the hearts of a nation often preoccupied with other sports like basketball and American football. The US Women’s National Team’s continued dominance of the tournament, which cut short this 2023 Women’s World Cup, also symbolizes a sense of nationalism, a sort of “best in the world” feeling.

“All of your friends were there for every game, as you were watching it in school,” Yang said. “Normally World Cup games are in the summer, and it’s a hassle getting everyone in one place with one TV to watch the games, and the smart boards are huge. It was just more lively watching it in school.”

Increased social media content also contributed to the growth of soccer. Whether it be game analysis of real tactics, football facts or FIFA gameplay, it has certainly edged its way into American media. Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are the top two individuals with the most followers on Instagram. Fabrizio Romano is one of the most viewed accounts on X, formally known as Twitter, due to his unrivaled coverage of the transfer market. Viral YouTuber IShowSpeed has also capitalized on the growth of soccer.

“Since the World Cup, [soccer] has been a more popularized sport for the US around the world,” Alexandru New (12) said. “You even have content creators like [IShowSpeed] that are picking it up. It’s getting a lot more attention.”

Soccer superstar Lionel Messi made a surprise transfer to Major League Soccer, coming off of recent international success in the World Cup and an illustrious career in Europe. Apple TV has also created a sponsorship with the MLS, having a season pass to watch all Major League Soccer games. According to an article by Consumer News and Business Channel, the subscriptions after Messi’s arrival to MLS team Inter-Miami have nearly doubled. Apple TV has been making an increase in soccer content, creating American sports comedy-drama Ted Lasso, winner of eleven Emmy awards. 

“There have already been big names in the MLS in the past,” New said. “Not as big as Messi, but big names, especially for the times. I think Messi will inspire a lot of people to pick up soccer.”

Messi is not the first star-studded player to come to the MLS. Wayne Rooney, a Manchester United legend, transferred over near the end of his career; Zlatan Ibrahimovic had a year to dominate the league; David Beckham, who played for the English national team and some of the biggest clubs in Europe, came to play and ended up owning a team in the MLS and many others international stars found their way to the United States for MLS. The question remains, will the growth of soccer fizzle out or will Messi combined with other factors continue to bring a national interest to the sport?

“The MLS has had big stars come to play for them in the past.” Edison Webb (12) said. “These players came near the end of their retirement. Messi is kind of the same but Messi, besides Zlatan, is still somewhat at his high level playing soccer when he came to the MLS. Messi is consistent.”

$550
$500