Filed under Student Life

Accepting the AP challenge

Back to Article
Back to Article

Accepting the AP challenge

Evans works on building a robot in an MLGW worker’s machine shop after school for a competition in Huntsville from March 15 to 17.

KATHRYN HAYNES

KATHRYN HAYNES

KATHRYN HAYNES

Overcommitment is a possible pitfall for every student, but many Spartans seem to handle their workload with ease. Or they just stay up late. Some see fellow students taking several AP (Advanced Placement) classes and wonder how they survive, but for many, it is a welcomed challenge.

For Sukanya Barman (11), AP classes help her evade boredom.

“AP classes give me a chance to just find something that makes me work hard and makes me actually engaged and focused in class,” Barman said.

While some take demanding courses to boost their chances of obtaining scholarships, others  do so because of their interest in the topics.

“In particular, those physics classes are just preparing me for engineering, whereas Calculus and Calculus III prepare me for the physics and mathematics path I want to take in college and in life,” Levi Evans (12) said.

Guidance counselor Heather Heaston believes students should take AP courses they will enjoy rather than to boost their GPA or compete with others.

“There are some students that take these courses for the knowledge, and there are some that take it for the grade,” Heaston said.

Academics are not the only focus for these motivated students. Evans, the co-president of the Robotics Club, is a member of the Math Club, Quiz Bowl and the Frisbee team. Barman is currently the co-president of the French Club, participates in Mock Trial, Quiz Bowl, Model UN and Science Olympiad. Allen Wu (10), a dedicated student taking several APs, is involved in Biology Olympiad, Model UN, Chess Club and the soccer team.

AP courses combined with outside activities can take a toll on students, but the key seems to be cultivating time management skills.

“You know how much work you can do, and just don’t take too much if you don’t think you can do it,” Wu said.

Taking AP courses may not be for everyone, but for some, it just makes sense.

“I think being an AP, nerdy student is just as valid an experience as any other experience,” Evans said.

• Accepting the AP challenge

News

Student Congress is fighting for change

• Accepting the AP challenge

LIII: an NFL Playoff and Super Bowl recap

• Accepting the AP challenge

“There’s the rub:” a guide to Memphis BBQ

• Accepting the AP challenge

A day in the life of a Spartan basketball player

• Accepting the AP challenge

Spartans reach new heights with rock climbing

• Accepting the AP challenge

An internationally-ranked jiu jitsu champion’s journey to success

• Accepting the AP challenge

News

Limited sex education at White Station results from public policy

• Accepting the AP challenge

How celebrities and politics are mixing in a new age of endorsement

• Accepting the AP challenge

Campbell forms affordable soccer team for inner-city players

• Accepting the AP challenge

Spartan traditions: the history behind the banana

Accepting the AP challenge