Freshman Phenom: Sebastian Musicante

Standing at a mere 5 foot 6 and weighing only 135 pounds, Freshman Sebastian Musicante does not look like your average athlete. He is also the only Freshman on the varsity team, a rare feat for the most talented soccer players. But after talking to Musicante and watching him play, you will learn that his age and stature are just about the only things under average about him.

Musicante was thrown into the fire very early into the season. The Spartans were matched up against SBA for the season opener. As it was the first game of the season, Sebastian did not believe he would have a big role on the team this early in the season, being that he is a Freshman on a Senior-laden squad. He was wrong. Not only did he have an important role in the game, but he scored the first goal of the White Station soccer season, which also served as his first career goal. White Station ended up losing to SBA 2-1, but that was when Musicante realized he could make it in the rigorous and competitive world of high school soccer.

“ [The SBA game] was a learning experience, but I picked up my play and found out I could play at a high level scoring my first goal as a Freshman,” said Musicante.

Sebastian has had a passion for soccer ever since he was a little kid. His dad is a native born Argentinian, where soccer is almost treated as a religion. Growing up his dad and uncle served as coaches to him as he progressed in his soccer career.

Musicante grew up watching and modeling his game after Spanish professional soccer player Xavier Hernandez Creus, who is better known as ‘Xavi’. Like Sebastian, Xavi was not blessed with height (only 5’7), but his impressive work ethic made up for his lack of height, a trait Sebastian also shares.

After a childhood of hard work in the game of soccer, Musicante is finally here at White Station and Spartan fans could not be more excited.

“ We’ve had the Leron Blacks in basketball, the Donald Grays in football, but we’ve never really had a great soccer player and I think Sebastian in his four years can really turn that around for us,” said Junior Keith Scatamacchia, who is known throughout the hallways as the ‘WSHS Sports Guru’ because of his unprecedented attendance record at Spartan sporting events and his impressive knowledge of the teams.

Keith also said that Misicante is a “true testament to all student athletes” for the way Sebastian is able to keep up with good grades, while also juggling a difficult soccer schedule. How he keeps up with school and soccer is not only a testament to student athletes everywhere, but it is also a testament to his work ethic, something just like everything else about Musicante is not average.

“ You have to be prepared to take risks in life and if you aren’t prepared to be in it for the long run you shouldn’t even start the journey,” said Musicante.