In-person, in a pandemic: an atypical return to traditional schooling

Emlyn Polatty

The senior gym is lined with desks for returning students, yet only three seats were taken in this study hall. Out of 2,205 enrolled students, only 180 returned for in-person learning, sparking feelings of isolation for those that came back.

The American flag greets an empty campus, populated only by social distancing markers. Floor markers have been placed all around campus, marking the CDC approved 6-foot social distancing guideline. (Emlyn Polatty)
Various essentials crowd a check-in table, including sterile gloves, disinfectant wipes and a jug of hand sanitizer. Each morning, sleepy students file in to get their temperatures recorded before the start of class.
(Emlyn Polatty)
With Airpods in ears, two students attend their seventh period classes over Microsoft Teams. Currently on a physical block schedule, students rotated through three classrooms a day while they attended all seven classes virtually.
(Emlyn Polatty)
Note reads: “I know you’ll miss me, Profe, so I’m letting you know that on the two days I can’t see you, you will constantly be in my thoughts. I’ll be back for you soon. -Neha”
Spanish teacher Leslie Thornton stands under a note from 2020 graduate Neha Larson written on the last day before the COVID-19 shutdown. Teachers in 2020-21 adjusted to virtual learning, but many grieve the loss of connections beyond the screen.
(Emlyn Polatty)
Aniyah Thompson hovers her phone over a QR code in the cafeteria that links to mandatory contact tracing. Lunchtime poses an obvious risk for in-person students, prompting heavy guidelines and monitoring to preserve safety.
(Scott Harrison)
Cafeteria manager Martha Hill takes a proud pause in what would typically be an overflowing cafeteria. Hill and her team worked tirelessly throughout the school year to provide nourishing food through the meal distribution program and breakfast and lunch for returning students. (Emlyn Polatty)
Notes for returning teachers grace the halls juxtaposed with posters of hand washing, mask wearing and social distancing procedures. After a surprise announcement from Superintendent Ray about resumption of in-person learning, members of the Executive Board organized a poster drive to boost teacher morale.
(Emlyn Polatty)
The senior gym is lined with desks for returning students, yet only three seats were taken in this study hall. Out of 2,205 enrolled students, only 180 returned for in-person learning, sparking feelings of isolation for those that came back. (Emlyn Polatty)
lvis is masked up and in the building! Faculty members, such as librarians Susie Carlson and Cathy Doyle, worked to keep some elements of fun under the new safety guidelines.
(Emlyn Polatty)
A lone student waits for her ride after the final bell rings. Gone are the after school clubs, events and performances, but the resurgence of spring sports and increasing vaccine availability bring hope for the future. (Emlyn Polatty)