Shen named semifinalist in the U.S. Presidential Scholars program

Sarah Shen (12) was named one of 621 semifinalists in the U.S. Presidential Scholars Program. Over 4,500 candidates applied for the prestigious program this year.

Jimmy Alford Studio

Any high school student can reap the everyday benefits of committed work, but only a handful are commended on a national level. For these exceptional few, the U.S. Presidential Scholars Program exists to recognize their talents. This year, Spartan Sarah Shen (12) was named a semifinalist in the program, news that initially came as a shock. 

“I was surprised at first because so many people deserve to be recognized for working so hard throughout high school, just as much as me,” Shen said. 

The U.S. Presidential Scholars Program considers thousands of high school seniors every year based on academic excellence and exceptional SAT or ACT scores. Those accepted are invited to attend a recognition ceremony and receive a medallion at the White House in Washington D.C., where scholars also visit historic sites and meet esteemed educators, government officials and other accomplished peers. Since its establishment in 1964, the program has expanded to also recognize students for artistic, career or technical achievement. For Shen, her polished academic career was what earned her an invitation to apply. 

“I started out with that mindset when I was younger that I always had to keep up my grades and do my best,” Shen said. “Everything you do affects your future, especially in high school, so I just think the responsibility from trying to secure my future is what really drives me.”

Applicants are also considered based on leadership and community service. Shen acquired considerable leadership experience throughout high school, holding such positions as captain of the Science Olympiad team and president of the Science National Honor Society. Shen has also given back to her community, partnering with the science department at White Station Elementary School to start the STEM Club, where students are able to conduct small-scale experiments and discover their passion for STEM.

“I felt like it was a good opportunity to help the younger generation of students see if STEM was the path for them,” Shen said. 

An exemplary high school career has earned Shen admittance into Columbia University, where she plans to major in physics, tackling the next chapter of her life with the rest of her graduating class.

“I’d like to say congrats to the class of 2020, just because we all deserve to be recognized for everything that we’ve done,” Shen said.