Model United Nations team wins Best Delegation

Tracy Duckworth/ Used with permission

White Station delegates pose with the awards they took home after the closing ceremony. 19 White Station students earned awards.

In their first conference of the spring semester, the White Station Model United Nations team competed in MSMUN, the Model UN conference hosted by Rhodes College. The conference gave many students the chance to improve their public speaking and debating skills.

“Given that this was my second conference, I felt like I improved greatly,” Beau Sorin (10) said.

Delegates debated a variety of topics across nine committees, ranging from the illegal weapons trade to violence against refugee women. Over three days, students worked together to find solutions for these issues.

“I started speaking more because I’m pretty sure at [the last conference] I only spoke about four or five times during the whole conference,” Sorin said. “At Rhodes, I spoke about six or seven times each day.”

For many students that find it difficult to attend out of town conferences, MSMUN provided a way for club members to participate.

By the end of the conference, the White Station Model United Nations team walked away with 19 individual awards and the group award of Best Delegation.

“We won about half of the awards, so I felt like we did pretty well,” Sorin said.