Choir members advance to honor choir

Charlie Huebner

Gino Giorgianni studies his music prior to his audition at Cordova High School. Giorgianni qualified for the All-Southwest Honor Choir along with others.

Every year, members of various choirs audition for a Tennessee All-Southwest Honor Choir position. And every year, numerous students represent White Station in the honor choir that consists of almost 250 singers. 

This year, 12 Spartan singers qualified for the selective choir. The path to earning a seat is not an easy one. Students must learn seven pieces of music for their audition on their own. There are five auditions, but this year, two pieces, “Ave Maria,” by Nathaniel Dett, and “How Lovely is thy Dwelling Place,” by Johannes Brahams, were featured in each audition, which emphasized the difficulty and importance of the two pieces.

“The All West music this year is my favorite so far, and I can’t wait for rehearsals to start,”  Maddie Hitching (11) said.

Although the hard part is done, more work lies ahead as choir students from many schools, including White Station, will rehearse Nov. 14 and 15 and perform on Sunday, Nov. 16. 

“Being in the choir is an amazing opportunity. It always enables me to learn from the people around me and helps me grow as a musician,” Hitching said.