The new sheriff in town: Principal Holland takes over White Station

Principal Holland plans to focus on getting students more involved and more excited to be a part of the school community. “I want students to be engaged, where it’s worthwhile for them to come to school, not just to graduate but because they’re learning something,” Holland said.

Justin Kouch

As the class of 2019 moves on from White Station, so does former principal David Mansfield. With the position open, Carrye Holland has filled the role as the new principal of White Station High School.

With thirteen years of experience under her belt, Holland understands the necessity of running a school efficiently. 

Like most schools, White Station has its problems, with one being the disconnect between different student populations, whether it is between different grades or optional/traditional. Seeing this as an infringement upon WSHS culture, Holland seeks ways to close this gap, resulting in a more inclusive and involved school. However, the question still remains: since White Station’s diversity can be seen as a “microcosm of Memphis,” how can everyone be actively engaged?

“There is a big gap between some of our student populations,” Holland said. “I see there are some kids who are intrinsically motivated and engaged and working hard, and there are some who feel like school is not relevant to them, so one of the biggest issues is how to reach all students.”

Holland hopes that a more involved school will lead to a more engaging school environment, motivating students to attend school every day and actually receive an education.

“I want school to be a fun place. I want teachers to have fun working here. I want students to have fun being students here,” Holland said. “Obviously, we have work to do, but I think you can have fun within that.”

Whether it is with more senior activities or clubs or improving facilities, such as the library and science labs, Holland aims to improve the overall school experience for both students and teachers. To achieve this, Holland vows to reach out to more students, alumni, teachers, administration, staff and the community to seek improvements for the school. Keeping to her word, Holland started a principal advisory board for students to relay concerns and comments about anything they feel that needs attention.

“I would like to know what the students think. I would like to know what the teachers think,” Holland said. “I welcome that feedback. I’d like to do something where people can give ideas in an ongoing fashion.”

As a new chapter begins for White Station, so does Holland’s career as a principal. Many changes are coming with the hope of creating a better environment for the entire community.

“My vision for the seniors is to have a senior year where [they] can look forward to their…year, so when [underclassmen] see [them] having a good time and achieving, I want [them] to see that and be excited about that,” Holland said.