Student Congress is fighting for change

Students gather on cafeteria stage to discuss the issues of White Station and give their solutions.

It’s no secret White Station students have complaints about school conditions, administration, and school work. However, despite the ceaseless complaints, nothing ever seems to be fixed.

Janice McDaniel, Student Leadership Manager for Shelby County Schools, and Broderick Conessero, Student Consultant for Shelby County Schools, are with an organization called “Block 818” and came to White Station Friday, Feb. 8 in hopes bringing about change.

McDaniel and Conessero started an organization called Student Congress which appoints student leaders to recruit fellow students to attend meetings in which they give advice and criticisms on how their school is being run.

Conessero started the meeting by asking the students what problems they felt needed attention. Kennedy Ray (11) brought up the issue of the gap between Optional and Traditional students. The topic became open for discussion, and students from optional, traditional and honors were able to weigh in. Many students expressed concerns about the way students are divided and taught differently based on the way they are “expected” to learn.

“It feels like there is a hierarchical system,” Allison Smith (12) said.

Seniors especially felt motivated to make a change in the school since they’re leaving, and want to leave a good legacy.

“A lot of people don’t like the atmosphere [of the school], and even though we’re seniors, we can leave an impact here,” Alexa Gonzalez (12) said.

Conessero motivated students to be a united front about these issues.

“Whatever we talk about,” Conessero said, “the change has to start with you.”

The students were inspired to come up with solutions and be the change at White Station.

“There’s a gap, and meetings like this bridge this bridge that gap,” Amy Eleogram (12) said.

Students then discussed student-teacher relationships and opportunities. By the end, all students felt as if they had the ability to make a positive difference.

“If you want to see a different outcome, you need to put in the effort to do so,” Annie Wilford (9) said.